App review: Xbox SmartGlass for iOS
Use your iPhone to play with your Xbox's Dashboard
- Control the Xbox dashboard
- Makes inputting information less frustrating
- Easier to use than a controller
- Can't use it to play games
- Can't use it type in games
Xbox SmartGlass offers Xbox users a lot of convenience. While it cannot interact with games whatsoever, it makes using the Xbox dashboard and playing media a lot easier, especially if typing is required.
Microsoft’s Xbox SmartGlass app turns a smartphone into an Xbox 360 controller, giving you the ability to play with your console’s dashboard and input information by swiping and typing rather than tolerating the traditional thumbstick and button method. It is important to note, though, that it is not a controller replacement as it cannot interact with games, even when just inputting information.
The first time Xbox SmartGlass is opened, it will ask you to sign in so it can connect to your Xbox 360. This means that your console must be on and logged into your account. Once a connection is established, the Xbox 360 will confirm it with a pop-up on your television screen. The Xbox 360 and smartphone do not have to be on the same network, although both must be connected to the Internet in some way, be it Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or 3G/LTE.
When the login is complete, the Xbox SmartGlass home screen appears on the smartphone screen, which looks like a less comprehensive version of the Xbox dashboard. From there, you can search the Xbox catalogue, track and compare achievements, look over your saved games library, and edit your profile and avatar.
To take control of the Xbox itself, you tap through to the dashboard option on SmartGlass. A mobile ‘control pad’ will appear at this point. The skin is black, and navigation is done by swiping any part of the screen to whichever direction. A ‘B’ button is located in the top right corner, ‘X’ in the bottom left, and ‘Y’ in the bottom right. Tapping the screen once triggers as the ‘A’ button.
Using this pad, you can use the smartphone to navigate the Xbox 360 and all its features, use the keyboard to type to the console, browse the Internet, and play/control media, such as DVDs, videos, and music.
As mentioned previously, Xbox SmartGlass does not give you the ability to play games with the smartphone as a controller replacement. Once a game is launched, the smartphone cannot interact with the Xbox — you can't even type in a game. For example, when creating a character in FIFA 13, you still have to use the Xbox controller. Who knows what the future may hold, but at this stage, Xbox SmartGlass is designed to provide convenience when interacting with the Xbox dashboard.
Developer: Microsoft Corporation
Requirements: iOS 5
Reviewed on: iPhone 5
Join the PC World newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
- WhatsApp finally launches video calling
- Google Play is cracking down on fake reviews and fraudulent install numbers
- New call-blocking apps in iOS 10 can stop spams and scams before they reach you
- Pokémon Go guide app with half a million downloads hacks Android devices
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerVIC
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- TPProject OfficerNSW
- FTProject / Implementation Coordinator (Junior-Mid Level) Sunshine Coast LocationQLD
- TPMobile DeveloperWA
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- CCTest AnalystWA
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 required!!!!SA
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystACT
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- FTIt Security and process analystNSW
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- TPSpatial Science OfficerQLD
- TPAgile Business AnalystQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - Technical BackgroundQLD
- CCWeb Ops EngineerACT