Modtech CIVIC Panaromic
- Good performance, strong battery life, good multimedia features
- Nothing notable
This is a value-priced power notebook that's well geared towards multimedia use.
Price$ 2,299.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
This is an interesting model from ModTech--a power notebook with a value price.
The design is slimline and smooth. The chassis is dark grey with silver trim. Those interested in video editing, multimedia production or even playing games would appreciate the vibrant 15.4" display (with maximum resolution of 1280 x 800) and powerful 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics processor. This, in combination with the Pentium M 745 processor and 1GB of RAM, helped the notebook achieve a 3DMark 2001 score of 10,576--an excellent score for a sub-$2500 notebook. It also achieved a PC WorldBench 5 productivity application benchmark score of 87. Battery life was quite strong too, with our tests indicating you can expect 75 minutes of battery life in a worst-case-scenario.
Multimedia buffs will also appreciate the sizable 80GB hard disk, fixed DVD-writer, four-in-one media card reader (great for use with digital cameras), S-Video TV-out, S/PDIF audio-out, three USB and single FireWire ports and the InterVideo InstantON feature allowing for quick-boot access to CD and DVD playback.
The CIVIC's keyboard is a good size and there's a scroll mechanism on the trackpad--two factors that go a long way to making this notebook quite usable during long sessions at work or play.
Being a Centrino notebook, this model also features 802.11b wireless networking (with on/off switch) plus a 56Kbps modem and Ethernet port.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Hands-on with Asus ROG G752 and GeForce GTX 1070 (or holy crap this thing is fast!)
- Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080, 1070 and 1060 for laptops break the mobile mold
- After delays, Lenovo finally ships its first OLED laptop
- Surface Pro 3's massive battery drain is a software problem, Microsoft says
- Early Android app support rolls out to two more Chromebooks
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCSolution Architect - POSVIC
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - SIEMVIC
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Integration Specialist - IP NetworkVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCSoftware test engineer - Telecom/NetworkACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160816/AP/vhsAsia
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- FTDB2 Database AdministratorVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- CCProject Manager XPLANNSW
- FTIT Release CoordinatorWA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160826/AP/972Asia
- CCSenior Project Manager - Contact CentresNSW
- CCSalesforce CRM ManagerNSW
- CCMS Access DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution Architect, Funds Management, Part time roleNSW
- CCInfrastructure Designer - AWSNSW
- CCContract Programmer (IT Security/Website Admin.) 160824/P/567Asia
- CCMainframe Application ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/PHP) 160819/P/733Asia
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows7/8/10) 160901/AP/781Asia