Motorola Gleam mobile phone
The Motorola Gleam is a flashback to yesteryear when thin flip phones were all the rage
- Competitive price
- Easy to use
- Stylish design
- No microSD card included
- Short notification time of front screen
- Fingerprint magnet
The Motorola Gleam is a stylish feature phone with a flip design and an easy to use proprietary operating system. If you're looking for a phone that just does the basics, you should definitely check it out.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
You'd be forgiven for thinking you've stepped back in time when you pick up the Motorola Gleam. The Gleam is a stylish feature phone (aka dumb phone) with a flip design, a proprietary operating system, no 3G connectivity and no third-party apps.
A stylish dumbphone
The Gleam appears to be Motorola's attempt at a low-cost, dumbphone for those who don't want or need the features of a touchscreen smartphone. Although smartphones are the latest and greatest devices, there still appears to be a market for more traditional handsets. The Motorola Gleam makes calls, sends text messages and plays music through a built-in MP3 player — that's about the extent of its features.
The design of the Motorola Gleam appears to be a homage back to one of the most famous mobile phones in history, the iconic Motorola RAZR. The RAZR was originally a flip phone that sold over 130 million units worldwide in a five year period from 2004-2008, but lost its sharpness as the world moved to smartphones.
Like the RAZR, the Gleam is a thin and light flip phone with a stylish design. Despite being constructed from plastic rather than aluminium, the Motorola Gleam feels reasonably well built. The soft feeling plastic on the rear makes the phone easy to grip and the glossy front makes the phone stand out in a crowd. We did notice a little looseness in the hinge, however, especially when the phone is closed.
Motorola describes the Gleam as a fashion phone and there are two features that prove the company's description right. Firstly, a grey strip emblazoned with the Motorola logo protrudes from the bottom of the Gleam when closed and lights up like a Christmas tree each time you open and close the phone. The soft LEDs look cool and also light up during an incoming call or text message, or when charging the phone. Thankfully, this feature can be turned off if you wish.
Secondly, the Motorola Gleam has a hidden dot-matrix screen on the front. The screen displays a clock and will also notify you of missed calls or text messages with large icons. It looks slick and is a nice touch, but the display of both the clock and missed calls/texts only shows for about five seconds before disappearing. An option to extend this time to display information for longer would have been appreciated.
Next page: Controls, display and battery life
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Google Pixel image leaked, revealing new home screen and rounded icons
- iOS 10 slower off the uptake mark
- Hands-on: Google Assistant's Allo chatbot outdoes Cortana, Siri as your digital pal
- HTC announces the Desire 10 Pro and Desire 10 Lifestyle smartphones
- Report: Samsung's overzealous efforts to beat Apple lead to battery woes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- CCDesktop Infrastructure SpecialistACT
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- CCWAN Architect and ConsultantWA
- CCService Desk analystSA
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- CCNetwork Design Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW