Motorola MOTOROKR EQ3
Travel-friendly speaker system
- Compact, folding design, price
- Lacking in bass, distortion at higher volume levels
The MOTOROKR EQ3 is the perfect example of a basic portable speaker solution for personal audio devices. At this price, there is little to complain about.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The MOTOROKR EQ3 is a compact folding speaker system that's as simple as they come. Its design means it is easily transported, making it especially handy for travellers.
The concept behind the EQ3 is fairly straightforward — a standard 3.5mm audio jack allows it to connect to devices such as iPods, portable media players and notebooks. Its main focus is on portability — the folding design makes the unit easy to transport. When folded closed, the EQ3 is almost small enough to fit into your pocket.
As expected from a device this size, sound quality isn't fantastic. However, considering the portability of the unit it does an admirable job. At a reasonable volume level, the EQ3 is punchy enough to listen to; its lack of bass is the major issue. Motorola claims the EQ3 delivers "rich, stereo sound with punchy bass", but this is nothing more than marketing speak. The unit sounds reasonable for its size, but it isn't going to win any awards for sound. Regardless, this is an issue for most compact speaker systems, not just this unit in particular. For the asking price, there is little to complain about.
A handy feature not seen on too many other devices is the ability for the EQ3 to act as an FM radio receiver for compatible devices. We tested this feature in and outside the office. We were able to get a solid signal outside, but it did struggle indoors.
The EQ3 runs on 4 x AAA batteries and Motorola includes these in the sales package. Motorola claims the included batteries will provide 12 hours of play time. Our suggestion would be to replace these with a rechargeable set, as this will be far more cost effective in the long run.
When not in use, the audio cable winds up in the battery compartment to avoid tangles. As the standard cable is quite short, Motorola includes an extension cable in the sales package, so you can position your source about a metre away from the unit if you wish.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- NSW government taps on Android Pay
- LG announces the V20, a phone squarely targeted at audiophiles
- When will your phone get Android Nougat?
- Report: Nexus home button animation and 'night light' option appear amid a batch of leaks
- Samsung officially announces the Galaxy Note 7 and a refreshed GearVR
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCNetwork Engineer - TelecomVIC
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/JP/709Asia
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- CCIT Support Officer- SAP (tool experience)NSW
- CCSenior Technology Specialist - Back-end Java/JEENSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows7/8/10) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/P/601Asia
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- CCProgram Director, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Android DeveloperVIC
- FTPrincipal Business Consultant- Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCProject Manager, Infrastructure Migration, AWS CloudNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/SA/812Asia
- FTSAP BASIS HANA ConsultantNSW
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTAutomation Tester- C#, Selenium | Cloud Based Finance SolutionsNSW
- CCContract Programmer (IT Security/Website Admin.) 160824/P/567Asia
- FTTest EngineerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC