Motorola MOTOROKR T505
- Built-in FM transmitter allows music and call streaming through car stereo, StationFinder, incoming caller ID announcements
- Outgoing voice sometimes lacks quality
The MOTOROKR T505 certainly adds a twist to the normally standard line of handsfree speakerphones. The built-in FM transmitter and StationFinder feature makes it an outstanding choice, even if outgoing audio could be slightly improved.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
Motorola's latest portable handsfree speakerphone offers a couple of enticing features. In addition to regular handsfree calling, the MOTOROKR T505 can stream music and calls to a car stereo via a built-in FM transmitter and also announces caller ID information for incoming calls.
Aesthetically, the T505 is chunky but quite stylish. A plain grey plastic finish means it will blend nicely into most modern cars. A large, removable clip easily attaches to the sun visor in your car. Like most of these units, it can be just as easily used outside the car – the clip sits neatly on a desk or table for home or office use.
Pairing the T505 to your Bluetooth compatible phone is as easy as switching the unit on and searching for nearby Bluetooth devices using your handset. Once connected, the T505 will remember your handset each time you power it on. Operation is simple – the call button answers and ends calls and the music button plays and pauses any streaming music, while two buttons on either side handle volume.
The most enticing feature of the T505 is its built-in FM transmitter. Even more convenient is a feature Motorola has dubbed StationFinder. Pressing the FM button on the rear of the T505 finds and announces the clearest FM station. Depending on what area you are in, this will constantly change. If your current station is dropping out or sounding distorted, simply press the button and tune to the station announced for clearer listening. We found this worked quite well and it is hugely convenient not to have to search for a clear FM station.
If your mobile phone supports A2DP Bluetooth streaming, the T505 can stream your music wirelessly to your car's FM stereo. You can control the music on your phone using the play/pause button on the front and the volume buttons on the side – the latter skips through tracks. The T505 can also stream both incoming and outgoing phone calls through your car stereo. This is hugely convenient as car speakers are usually much louder than the single speaker found on most handsfree speakerphones. For incoming calls, a female voice announces caller ID information if your phone supports this. If there is no caller ID, the voice will say the incoming phone number.
Quality of voice is passable, but not outstanding. Incoming voice is loud and clear for the most part, but our callers did note a lack of volume and clarity for outgoing voice. Like almost all of these units, you'll have to close your car windows in order to create the quietest environment possible. Do note that in terms of FM transmission for both music and calls, quality depends on the quality of your car stereo.
Motorola packages the T505 with an in-car charger, but no AC charger. The unit is rated at up to 18 hours talk-time and 14 days standby time.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- A new AMD licensing deal could create more x86 rivals for Intel
- Two Sony Xperia Z3 phones now support Android N preview
- Samsung shows off 'pink gold' Galaxy S7, S7 Edge
- Microsoft might be eyeing a Surface phone with a trackpoint/fingerprint reader
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCFront End DeveloperWA
- CCOperational Team LeadVIC
- CCInfrastructure Assurance OfficerACT
- CCDigital Producer (Part Time 3 Days Per Week)NSW
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- CCOnline Shop Operations Consultant (eCommerce)VIC
- FTDatabase Administrator / ArchitectNSW
- FTDesktop SupportNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC
- CCWebOps EngineerVIC
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- FTPMO AnalystNSW
- CCNV1 | System admin with SQL server experience for Defence Application SupportACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer (Lotus Notes/Networking) 160504/AP/781Asia
- CCServer SpecialistACT
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTAzure ArchitectQLD
- FTSystem EngineerACT
- FTTechnical Writer - Trading SystemsNSW
- CCContract Contract Junior Programmer (JUD-16493-4)Asia
- CCHi-Portfolio ConsultantNSW
- CCSales Development Executive - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTSenior Application SpecialistACT
- FTJunior Inside Sales Rep | National systems integrator & MSP | $60-70K+NSW