Motorola S705 SoundPilot
- Includes headphones but 3.5mm jack means you can use your own, caller ID display, decent sound quality, FM radio
- No hold key, fiddly control stick, slight delay during music resume after a call
The S705 SoundPilot is convenient if you want a hands free unit capable of wirelessly streaming music via Bluetooth. It's not cheap though and the sound quality isn't outstanding.
Price$ 174.95 (AUD)
The Motorola S705 SoundPilot is a wireless Bluetooth stereo headset that can stream music via any A2DP compatible mobile phone or music player. The S705 doubles as a hands-free headset, has an FM radio and features a small display that shows caller ID and music track information.
A2DP stands for Advanced Audio Distribution Profile and is a technology that lets devices stream stereo sound via Bluetooth. Connecting the S705 SoundPilot is simply a matter of pairing it with your phone, like you would a Bluetooth device. The S705 connected successfully and remained problem-free.
A small display on the S705 lists current track, and also provides feedback on battery charge and Bluetooth status. The four-way navigational stick used to control the headset may be difficult to control for those with large fingers. A call handling button and menu button adorn the right and left sides of the S705 respectively.
When the phone rings, a quick glance at the display reveals the number and name (if in your phonebook). Calls are answered using the call handling button and rejected by the menu button., During a call "on a call" appears on the headset display. The S705 doesn't show missed calls.
When a call comes in while the phones music player or FM radio are playing, the audio is paused. On completion of the call the audio will play again, albeit after a delay of three seconds.
The headset hangs around the neck and the included pair of earbuds of good quality plug into the device. However, one of the best features of the S705 is the standard 3.5mm headphone jack, allowing it to be used with any set of headphones.
The S705's do give off a slight hissing noise during music playback. Apart from this though, the sound is decent without being outstanding. The S705 charges via either an AC adapter or a standard mini-USB cable.
The convenience of music listening and hands-free phone calls in an intelligent device is the primary advantage of the Motorola S705 SoundPilot. While the sound quality isn't all that noteworthy and the unit doesn't come cheaply, the convenience factor will be important for some.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Galaxy Note7 battery woes continue as company investigates phones that are running too hot
- BlackBerry stops making hardware, but BlackBerry phones live on
- Google Pixel image leaked, revealing new home screen and rounded icons
- iOS 10 slower off the uptake mark
- Hands-on: Google Assistant's Allo chatbot outdoes Cortana, Siri as your digital pal
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Web Developer (160915/WD/vmp)Asia
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCeCommerce Project ManagerNSW
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCDigital Solutions ManagerNSW
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC