Mozilla Firefox 3.0 beta 2
- Loads pages faster, can now zoom in on a whole page instead of just text, enhanced security
- You'll have to update all your extensions when you change to the new release version
The final version of Firefox should provide even more improvements to memory leaks and other areas of performance and, as a sleek, customisable browser this is still a very good application. Previous versions of Opera and Internet Explorer have done more in terms of interface design and security features, but Firefox is catching up.
The beta version of the Mozilla Firefox 3.0 Web browser is out now for you to try. Although more of an incremental upgrade than a revolution, Firefox 3.0 enjoys better security and bookmark management.
In the three years since version 1.0 was released, Firefox has, along with Opera, taken a large share of the PC browser market from Internet Explorer. Firefox provided a lean, stripped down browser that would respond quickly without excessive features -- but which could be customised in a number of ways.
On first appearances, there appears to be little that has changed since the previous release in the beta of Firefox 3.0. Most changes have taken place behind the scenes, but some of these are quite substantial changes to how you will use Firefox. The biggest of which is Firefox Places, which stores all your history and bookmarks in one place.
This works as a SQL database, which should mean that there will be new ways to access and manage that information through Firefox 3.0 extensions. The second beta has also enhanced the location bar to better match pages from your history and bookmarks.
Other important changes include enhancements to security: you are now warned of phishing sites and forged pages, and Firefox 3.0 integrates with antivirus software and the Parental Controls in Vista. In some cases, this is simply playing catch-up with competitors in terms of improving online security, but disabling insecure plug-ins is a bonus.
Another change is the ability to zoom in on a whole page, not simply text. While Firefox 2.0 regularly restored tabs from a previous session if the browser closed unexpectedly, Firefox will now also restore any zoom settings that you have with individual pages. Finally, the Firefox 3.0 Download Manager now allows you to pause and resume downloads.
The second beta of Firefox 3.0 has made considerable performance improvements and it now loads pages extremely quickly. However, be prepared to have to update all your extensions if you move over to the new release.
You can download the beta here.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen.) android smartphone
- 5 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- German publishers capitulate and let Google post news snippets -- for now
- Abandoned subdomains pose security risk for businesses
- HP gives Moonshot server its first Xeon chip
- Australian ISP stands up to filmmakers hunting pirates
- Panasonic tries tablet service for assisted living homes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Sales ManagerNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTSales Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW