MSI StarCam Mini
- Easy to use, good range of features, cheap
- Image quality below par
An easy to use and well priced webcam complete with some useful extras
Price$ 36.00 (AUD)
If you've ever encountered problems positioning your webcam, with it not quite being able to achieve those difficult angles you require, MSI has a solution. The Starcam Mini is a novel little device: a small webcam mounted on to the end of a 35cm semi-flexible arm that can be wrapped around and fixed to almost anything.
The Starcam Mini is a good all-in-one solution for anyone wanting to buy a webcam. Firstly, it's simple to use. Installing the software and drivers using the included CD takes only a matter of minutes. Once this is done the camera can be used with any standard software such as MSN Messenger or Skype. The image quality of the camera certainly isn't the best, so we had to play around with the settings in MSN Messenger before we got an adequate picture. Using standard settings the picture is too dark and the colours are washed out, but this was much improved after we altered brightness and contrast levels.
Other than the disappointing colours, the Starcam Mini holds up fairly well with its 640 x 480 sensor. Though the frame rate is a little slow, it never got to the point where the picture became disfigured or indistinguishable. One nice inclusion is the addition of four infrared LEDs on the front of the camera. This seems like a gimmick, but they actually offer quite good night vision capabilities and make it suitable for any nocturnal activity.
One of the standout elements of the product is the aforementioned flexible arm. This is the only means of mounting the webcam (there is no clip or attachment) and we found it easy to use. The cable can be wrapped around any nearby object, such as a desk fitting, table leg, or even an arm, and will perch securely; though a few rubber bands might be handy. MSI include a handy USB extension cable for more distant placement.
The final feature of the webcam is its use as a surveillance camera. MSI include their VideoSecurity software which offers basic motion detection functions. The image window can be divided into up to five separate regions, which the software will then monitor for movement. Should this be detected, the software will then either play an alarm sound, start recording video or forward images to an email address. This is all incredibly easy to set up, and with the camera's small size and flexible cable makes it the ideal tool for spying.
Overall the Starcam Mini offers a good deal of features in an easy to use and low cost package. Its one major let down is the relatively poor quality of its video, but this can be improved by some software tinkering.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Jump the line for the newest Chromecast features with Google's new preview program
- Twitter's new Apple TV, Fire TV, and Xbox One apps are all about video, not tweets
- Sony's PlayStation 4 'Shingen' update adds HDR support to every PS4 console
- New TiVo Bolt+ is a DVR powerhouse rolling out September 15
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCService Desk analystSA
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC