MSI StarCam Mini
- Easy to use, good range of features, cheap
- Image quality below par
An easy to use and well priced webcam complete with some useful extras
Price$ 36.00 (AUD)
If you've ever encountered problems positioning your webcam, with it not quite being able to achieve those difficult angles you require, MSI has a solution. The Starcam Mini is a novel little device: a small webcam mounted on to the end of a 35cm semi-flexible arm that can be wrapped around and fixed to almost anything.
The Starcam Mini is a good all-in-one solution for anyone wanting to buy a webcam. Firstly, it's simple to use. Installing the software and drivers using the included CD takes only a matter of minutes. Once this is done the camera can be used with any standard software such as MSN Messenger or Skype. The image quality of the camera certainly isn't the best, so we had to play around with the settings in MSN Messenger before we got an adequate picture. Using standard settings the picture is too dark and the colours are washed out, but this was much improved after we altered brightness and contrast levels.
Other than the disappointing colours, the Starcam Mini holds up fairly well with its 640 x 480 sensor. Though the frame rate is a little slow, it never got to the point where the picture became disfigured or indistinguishable. One nice inclusion is the addition of four infrared LEDs on the front of the camera. This seems like a gimmick, but they actually offer quite good night vision capabilities and make it suitable for any nocturnal activity.
One of the standout elements of the product is the aforementioned flexible arm. This is the only means of mounting the webcam (there is no clip or attachment) and we found it easy to use. The cable can be wrapped around any nearby object, such as a desk fitting, table leg, or even an arm, and will perch securely; though a few rubber bands might be handy. MSI include a handy USB extension cable for more distant placement.
The final feature of the webcam is its use as a surveillance camera. MSI include their VideoSecurity software which offers basic motion detection functions. The image window can be divided into up to five separate regions, which the software will then monitor for movement. Should this be detected, the software will then either play an alarm sound, start recording video or forward images to an email address. This is all incredibly easy to set up, and with the camera's small size and flexible cable makes it the ideal tool for spying.
Overall the Starcam Mini offers a good deal of features in an easy to use and low cost package. Its one major let down is the relatively poor quality of its video, but this can be improved by some software tinkering.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
- Remocam review: This security camera can control your home appliances
- Logitech's C922 webcam is the revered C920's vastly upgraded successor
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- CCPMO ManagerNSW
- CCUser Experience Designer - Part time - Short contractACT
- TPSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- FTFull Stack Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- TPDatabase Integration SpecialistVIC
- TPSharePoint AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - NetApp SpecialistNSW
- CCProject Support SpecialistVIC
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)NSW
- FTJunior / Entry Level IT role - Recent IT TAFE GraduateNSW
- CCSharepoint Business AnalystACT
- CCProject Scheduler-Port MacquarieQLD
- TPTechnical Business Analyst - DigitalQLD
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- TPLead Change Manager - ERPVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager x 2QLD