NEC MultiSync LCD90GX2
- Excellent picture quality, High response time
- Screen is a little too reflective
The NEC MultiSync LCD90GX2 is an excellent monitor suitable for graphics intensive applications and gaming.
Price$ 859.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The final link in a great PC is the monitor. You can have the best graphics card and the fastest processor around, but an abysmal monitor can cripple your system. With the 19 inch MultiSync LCD90GX2, NEC has brought an excellent monitor to the market that blasts forth high quality images with near flawless precision.
To look at, the MultiSync LCD90GX2 does not really stand out from many other 19 inch monitors. The screen is surrounded by a silver casing, with four menu buttons and a four way directional stick for menu navigation neatly cantilevered out under the bottom of the display. The base and rear of the unit are black with the input connectors hidden behind a removable cover plate. The display can tilt through 30 degrees and the base can swivel through 340 degrees. A PC can be connected via either DVI or VGA connections and the two nifty USB slots are a useful addition.
Configuring and adjusting the display is simple through the combination of the on-screen display and the directional stick. The display supports resolutions up to 1280x1024: all our tests were run at this resolution.
We ran image quality tests using DisplayMate Video Edition and were both surprised and pleased at the results with only two minor issues. The colour block tests were perfect, the text on colour block tests was flawless and the uniformity and focus matrix tests passed with flying colours. Even the various moire pattern tests, the hardest tests for any monitor to display, were displayed without fault. From an image quality standpoint, this monitor is sublime.
We did find a slight yellow discolouration on the last two vertical lines on the far right of the screen. This was almost unnoticeable but on a screen of white lines on a black background it was visible. The other issue involved a barely noticeable slight darkening of the image in each corner of the screen. However, we do not feel these two minor issues impact on the use of the LCD90GX2. Further countering these insignificant problems is the fact that this display stands out from the crowd thanks to the absence of back light bleeding.
NEC claims the monitor has a response time of four milliseconds, making it suitable and seemingly targeted toward gaming usage. We walked through various levels of our game wildly moving the camera and game character and noticed no trace of image ghosting or any of the usual symptoms of low response displays. We also ran informal DVD playback tests and were once again pleased with the result.
The biggest problem with this monitor is the screen material when used under flourescent lighting. In this scenario we found the screen to be too reflective. The ultra-reflective screen allows a much sharper image overall but comes at a cost. However, this problem is less noticeable under regular incandescent lighting common in the home.
The NEC MultiSync LCD90GX2 is an excellent monitor suitable for graphics and gaming intensive applications.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
- LG's ultra-thin touchscreen panels will enable lighter, thinner notebooks
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- LG to unveil curved ultrawide monitor at IFA
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSales Development Executive - Software SolutionsNSW
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCTransition Program ManagerNSW
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW
- CCProject Coordinator (urgent) - Digital - Blue chip companyNSW
- CCTechnical ExpertVIC
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Change Manager - Capital MarketsNSW
- CCNV1 | System admin with SQL server experience for Defence Application SupportACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (C++/JAVA/SQL) 160505/SA/971Asia
- CCOperational Team LeadVIC
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC
- FTDigital Account Manager - Online MediaNSW
- FTProduction ConsultantVIC
- CCFront End Developer x 2QLD
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCContract Contract Junior Programmer (JUD-16493-4)Asia
- FTChange Lead- DigitalVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Data ManagementNSW
- CCBusiness Project ManagerAsia
- CCSiebel AnalystACT