NEC P221W LCD monitor
This attractive, well-designed 22-inch widescreen monitor offers fantastic image quality.
- Excellent image quality
- Pricey in comparison to other displays
Attractive and well-designed, this professional display offers fantastic image quality. But it also comes with a very high price.
Price$ 1,255.00 (AUD)
This attractive, well-designed 22-inch widescreen monitor offers impeccable image quality. But at $1255, it's extremely pricey, particularly when you consider that other 22-inch displays can be found for $400 or less.
In our tests, the P221w showed beautiful colour and sharp, easy-to-read text, even at small font sizes. It also handled our motion tests with aplomb, showing negligent blurring. NEC gears this display to specialised uses such as graphic design, and many of the controls in the on-screen display certainly are aimed at fine-tuning the screen. For instance, you can make manual adjustments to the monitor's red, green, and blue levels individually.
The P221w also offers hardware calibration, an unusual extra that will likely appeal photographers and others who might want to adjust the whitepoint or gamma curve. NEC also sells calibration software for the P221w — the software enables further fine adjustments to the screen.
The monitor pivots and adjusts easily, and the unit's smooth black finish would grace any desk quite nicely. The P221w includes DVI and VGA ports for hooking it up to a PC, but it lacks both HDMI and DisplayPort connections.
Still, unless, perhaps, you're a graphics specialist, $1255 seems a high price to pay, even for rock-solid image quality and high-level controls. As mentioned, you can find a decent 22-inch widescreen now for $400 or less, and during these uncertain economic times, it makes sense to watch where you spend your hard-earned cash.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
- 2 Medion Akoya E4110 (MD 8239) desktop PC
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
- 4 Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series convertible laptop
- 5 Kogan Agora 4G review
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Germany's IFA show, debut ground for numerous new products, hits 90 years old
- Amid dueling lawsuits, state needs Oracle's help with health-insurance site transition
- First mobile device with MIPS 64-bit processor coming in 2016
- AMD's new eight-core FX chips based on aging Piledriver architecture
- Uber vows to defy German ban on its UberPop ride-sharing service
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.