Netobjects Fusion 9.0
- Wealth of tools and wizards, Custom Components Suite
- Not really a major upgrade
The upgrades aren't as overwhelming as in previous versions, but represent the steady evolution of a worthwhile program. Fusion is cheaper than other high-end competitors - although anyone who creates websites only very occasionally will want to consider the alternatives. For all but the most expert developers, this really is the recommended application.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Fusion has long had a reputation as a sophisticated application that can produce competent results but is easy to use, particularly when compared with Dreamweaver and GoLive. While it provides plenty of wizards to set up pages quickly, it also offers a wealth of tools to control some pretty advanced features for your site, including controls for online shops and RSS feeds.
NetObjects introduced the really substantial changes from version 7.0 onwards. This latest release does not feel like such a major upgrade, but it does offer improvements that will appeal to current users as well as those who are new to the program. One of the modifications that has been promoted most - the ability to build Flash websites without Flash - is more limited than it first appears, but is a welcome addition anyway.
More impressive are tools for helping with site building and maintenance. Thus, for example, the locking controls mean that objects, images and entire areas of pages can be locked to prevent editing - accidental or otherwise. The new navigation options do not end with the addition of Flash controls: you can also add decorative end caps to navigation graphics and build up sophisticated-looking buttons.
Best of all, however, is the addition of a range of tools to the Custom Components suite. Some of these are extremely useful, such as the Secure Site package to provide login and password tools, RSS and the ability to add Google Search to your pages.
Other improvements will be appreciated by experienced designers. Extensions to CSS (cascading style sheet) controls within Fusion enable you to adjust the appearance of forms and database output, providing full portability and management should you decide to configure your website for different platforms. Similarly, the Versions Manager allows developers to create and store different editions of sites, which is particularly handy for debugging and tracking changes.
For design professionals, Dreamweaver - formerly owned by Macromedia, but now part of the Adobe stable - remains the best application around, not least because there's an active community developing plug-in extensions for just about every task that a designer needs to do. For many people, however, it remains extremely difficult to use. And while the main alternative, GoLive, has some fans (particularly among print designers), it is even harder to use. As well as difficulty, there remains the element of cost. For occasional users, much the better options are Serif WebPlus or Namo Web Editor.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Drupal fixes critical access bypass vulnerability
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- Microsoft will cut services to standalone Office users so they’ll subscribe to Office 365
- Microsoft commits to a permament schedule for new Windows 10, Office updates
- OK Google, let's get personal
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital ProducerNSW
- FTSales Lead / Sales Executive - Enterprise IT Healthcare Perm - North RydeNSW
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsWA
- FTIT Service Owner - Supply Chain TechnologiesNSW
- FTSenior Java EngineerWA
- FTStorage Engineer l HDSNSW
- FTICT Relationship Manager - Service Delivery EnvironmentNSW
- FTICT Sales Account ManagerQLD
- FTIT/Digital Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior .Net Developer - Multiple rolesQLD
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- TPWeb DeveloperNSW
- FTSecurity Architect - Perth BasedQLD
- FTSolution Architect (Voice/DATA/Network)SA
- CCVirtualisation / Infrastructure ArchitectACT
- TPBusiness Analyst | DETQLD
- CCTraining Lead - TelcoVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTCitrix Engineer/Designer - AWS experience essentialNSW
- CCSAP ISU Device Management ConsultantVIC
- FTData Entry Administrator - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTSenior Sales Operations AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Data ConsultantWA
- CCSenior Domain ArchitectVIC