Netsupport Manager 9.1
- Substantial support functions, Bundled ActiveX, Easy Installation
- Complex Functionality
NetSupport Manager 9.1 comes highly recommended and contains a substantial list of features.
Price$ 84.00 (AUD)
Remote-control offerings aren't exactly rare - Microsoft Windows XP Professional has one as standard, and there's always free VNC (Virtual Network Computing). But these are one-to-one tools and are not perfectly suited to the larger task of administering and supporting networks. For this, you need a product along the lines of NSM (NetSupport Manager) - a comprehensive offering with an impressive list of features.
NSM 9.1 offers a substantial list of support functions. As well as remote control, you get file transfer, chat and a hardware/software inventory. The Monitor mode allows you to shrink desktops down to thumbnail views so you can keep an eye on a number of workstations at once. Or you can 'channel surf', displaying each desktop in turn. It's also possible to share control of a remote desktop, so you can walk a user through a problematic task, and there's a record/playback feature that is very useful as a teaching tool.
Remote web access is available via the bundled ActiveX controls, so you can remotely control a client over the Internet directly from a browser. NSM 9.1 works best with Windows clients but more limited support for Pocket PC, Linux and Mac is available.
Reassuringly, NSM 9.1 worked right out of the box. Installation is a snap - you install the whole package on the 'monitoring' PC and just the client on the ones to be monitored. This can be done remotely via a 'deploy' feature.
The well-thought-out Explorer-like interface makes using NSM 9.1 a very intuitive experience, and for most tasks we found no need to refer to the extensive manual. This is a major plus, considering the program's wide-ranging and complex functionality.
Reasonably priced, very easy to use and with a wide range of features, NetSupport Manager is the answer to every network-admin's prayers and comes highly recommended.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Google Maps for Android adds 'OK Google' voice, navigation commands and other search tricks
- NBN ditches Optus HFC for FTTdp
- Analysts laud and lance new Microsoft browser armor
- Apple's Siri-powered Amazon Echo rival reportedly hits the prototype phase
- Hackers have a treasure trove of data with the Yahoo breach
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW