Netsupport Manager 9.1
- Substantial support functions, Bundled ActiveX, Easy Installation
- Complex Functionality
NetSupport Manager 9.1 comes highly recommended and contains a substantial list of features.
Price$ 84.00 (AUD)
Remote-control offerings aren't exactly rare - Microsoft Windows XP Professional has one as standard, and there's always free VNC (Virtual Network Computing). But these are one-to-one tools and are not perfectly suited to the larger task of administering and supporting networks. For this, you need a product along the lines of NSM (NetSupport Manager) - a comprehensive offering with an impressive list of features.
NSM 9.1 offers a substantial list of support functions. As well as remote control, you get file transfer, chat and a hardware/software inventory. The Monitor mode allows you to shrink desktops down to thumbnail views so you can keep an eye on a number of workstations at once. Or you can 'channel surf', displaying each desktop in turn. It's also possible to share control of a remote desktop, so you can walk a user through a problematic task, and there's a record/playback feature that is very useful as a teaching tool.
Remote web access is available via the bundled ActiveX controls, so you can remotely control a client over the Internet directly from a browser. NSM 9.1 works best with Windows clients but more limited support for Pocket PC, Linux and Mac is available.
Reassuringly, NSM 9.1 worked right out of the box. Installation is a snap - you install the whole package on the 'monitoring' PC and just the client on the ones to be monitored. This can be done remotely via a 'deploy' feature.
The well-thought-out Explorer-like interface makes using NSM 9.1 a very intuitive experience, and for most tasks we found no need to refer to the extensive manual. This is a major plus, considering the program's wide-ranging and complex functionality.
Reasonably priced, very easy to use and with a wide range of features, NetSupport Manager is the answer to every network-admin's prayers and comes highly recommended.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- ACCC to scrutinise impact of NBN, 5G on telco competition
- Telstra increases NBN market share
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- Microsoft Word gains powerful Editor, Researcher tools to help you write more good
- Aussie regulator calls for greater broadband speed transparency
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCFinance Analyst (Junior)VIC
- CCNetwork Technology SpecialistVIC
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- CCProject Manager - Expense Management SystemVIC
- FTTest EngineerNSW
- CCAsset Transfer Specialist | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Cognos/JAVA/J2EE) 160831/SA/122Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst / SalesforceNSW
- CCStorage / Server EngineerNSW
- CCMessaging Services Systems AdministratorACT
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- FTDB2 Database AdministratorVIC
- CCData ModellerACT
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- CCOracle/Java/Applications DeveloperACT
- CCPMO Project AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Programmer (IT Security/Website Admin.) 160824/P/567Asia
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCTechnology Specialist Networks & SecurityVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (CISCO/Firewall/Network) 160819/SA/423Asia
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Brand NEW IoT ProjectNSW
- FTNational ICT Senior Technical Support EngineerACT