Nik Software Silver Efex Pro
Photoshop plug-in Silver Efex Pro efficiently produces great black-and-white effects.
- Can create top-notch black-and-white images; innovative selective control system; highly responsive
- Preset column tricky to navigate
Silver Efex Pro runs responsively, even as a Smart Filter. It also works on 8- and 16-bit images in both RGB and CMYK. Overall it produces great black-and-white effects that are fiddly to create in Photoshop alone.
Price$ 349.56 (AUD)
Silver Efex Pro efficiently produces great black-and-white effects that are fiddly to create in Photoshop alone.
The plug-in ships with a set of presets to use as a starting point.
Like the rest of the application, these include both pure digital and faux-film effects. Though Silver Efex offers film-type effects — including mimicking real-world black-and-white films — it doesn’t penalize you if you’re not a film buff. The preset column shows a thumbnail preview of your image with the effect, which is a great timesaver and encourages experimentation, but is fiddly, owing to its overly long slider.
Set opposite the presets are the manual controls, which kick off with Brightness, Contrast and Structure (graininess) sliders. There are panels for colour filters, film types and stylizations. The Film Types panel offers popular films from Kodak’s ISO 32 Panatomic X to Ilford’s Delta 3200 Pro, while Stylizing covers toning, vignettes and burnt edges. Below these are a loupe and a useful 11-point, black-to-white scale that allows you to see which areas of your image have the same brightness using a zebra pattern.
You can alter images manually with Nik’s U-point Control Points. These are points that you pin onto the image that affect the brightness, contrast and graininess of the surrounding areas. Using sliders attached to each point, you control each setting and the radius of its effect. In the photo above, we used control points to bring out the top of the hose and the shower nozzle, as they were too dark after our effect was created.
Silver Efex Pro runs responsively, even as a Smart Filter. It also works on 8- and 16-bit images in both RGB and CMYK. If you don’t use it as a Smart Filter, you can also apply its effects with a brush in Photoshop.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- CSIRO’s Data61 and Treasury join forces to examine the blockchain
- Windows 10 on pace to reach 20% share by June
- Budget 2016: NBN approaches limit of government funding
- Why Windows 10 wants your feedback and diagnostics, and how to control them
- Aussie start-up, Rundl, hits $5bn transaction milestone
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCWeb AdministratorACT
- FTSenior Network Engineer | National Systems Integrator & MSP | CBD locationNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- CCSCRUM MasterNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTProject Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Data ManagementNSW
- FTOIM Specialist- Oracle Identity and Access Management 11Gr2NSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - ICT SecurityNSW
- CCSystem Administration / Application Support | NV2 clearance neededACT
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160505/AP/951Asia
- CC.NET Developer (Application production Support)NSW
- CCSenior Oracle DBA- Part time 20 hoursWA
- CCBusiness Project ManagerAsia
- FTAGILE Training Manager/CoachNSW
- CCOnline Shop Operations Consultant (eCommerce)VIC
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW
- CCSkilled Sitecore / .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTITSM Head of Service Desk & SwitchboardACT