Nikon COOLPIX 7600
- Nice pictures, stunning LCD
- Bad image writing lag, mediocre design, mediocre features
This reasonable camera has an incredible LCD, but is dogged by a few design and lag problems.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
The Nikon Coolpix 7600 is a mixed bag. On one hand, it offers great picture quality in a compact model, but on the other hand it lacks the features, functions and style of several of its competitors.
One area in which this model does completely outshine the competition is the LCD. It's not large--only 1.8"--but it depicted the subject perfectly regardless of how they were moving. Never before have we seen a screen with so little evidence of ghosting or blurring.
This screen really helps you get the best out of your shots, and the 7.1 megapixel 7600 also produced great images. We were particularly impressed with the colour saturation; it presented the rich blue of the sky and the dull green of tree leaves wonderfully. There was perhaps a small problem with sharpness around very detailed areas, but overall the image quality was very impressive.
While taking shots in low-light areas the camera suffered from painfully long recovery lag, in the range of four to five seconds. Outside it was fine, with a fairly standard one to two second wait between shots. There was also a noticeable lag between holding down the shutter button and the camera actually taking the shot. The images themselves were quite good, but these periods of downtime can make shooting tedious.
The design itself is a blend of positives and negatives. It is quite small for a 7.1 megapixel model and would fit comfortably in a pocket or bag, but its boxy design wouldn't appeal much to the fashion-conscious photographer. It felt reasonably durable, but has a little more plastic than we like to see. Some of the buttons felt poorly mounted as well, and required several attempts to successfully push.
It sports a fairly standard set of features. It has white balance and exposure control, but no manual aperture or shutter speed setting. It has a basic, 16-shot continuous shot function, as well as a 10-shot "best shot" function, but no real exposure bracketing features. There are also 16 pre-programmed shot modes, which cover most of the basics without offering anything fantastic.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
- Canon goes big on resolution with 250-megapixel sensor
- Hey, Saturn, take a selfie! World's biggest digital camera will photograph the universe
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTProject Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCHyperion ConsultantNSW
- FTIT Support Engineer - Managed Service Provider - No two days are the sameNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (Network & System Mgt.) 160509/ITA/281Asia
- CCWebOps EngineerVIC
- FTAGILE Training Manager/CoachNSW
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior AGILE Business AnalystNSW
- FTSystem EngineerACT
- CCData Management & Reporting Development OfficerSA
- CCSr System AnalystACT
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- CCSql Server Database Administrator (SAP)QLD
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCApplication Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTNetwork ConsultantNSW
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- CCSr. Project Manager - Six SigmaVIC
- CCBusiness Data AnalystVIC
- CCProcurement Contract SpecialistQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCProject ManagerQLD