Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Mario's reptilian nemesis finally gets his due
- Beautiful 2D graphics, solid combat, everything Fawful does and says is awesome
- Too much mandatory button-mashing, feels gimmicky at points
Bowser's Inside Story is a game that will have you laughing one moment and cursing the next but you'll enjoy doing both.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
Although he's caused Mario and his friends all kinds of headaches, King Bowser has slowly evolved into one of the most lovable characters in the Nintendo universe. He's lived in Mario's shadow for most of his career but he's finally getting some much deserved time in the spotlight in Bowser's Inside Story, a wacky RPG that centers on the self-centred and wilfully stupid monarch.
Beauty and the Beast
The beauty of Bowser is that he is not burdened with an excessive backstory nor is there an ill-conceived attempt to give him a complex personality. Bowser is a struggling 'everyman' who only wants to get some respect in a frustrating world. Easily tricked and abused by his enemies, it's hard not to feel sorry for him.
Your mission in Bowser's Inside Story is to help him stop failing at life, if only by a little bit. In battle you'll help Bowser maul his foes with mighty punches, scorching firebreath, and swarms of his tiny minions. When he fails, Bowser is often helpless until Mario & Luigi-accidentally devoured by Bowser earlier in the game-can do something to help him. They might play a mini-game to give Bowser a burst of strength or use an adrenaline rush to grow him into a lumbering giant.
The Shiny, Candy-Like Button
Battle and mini-games in Bowser's Inside Story are all about gruelling precision, in stark contrast to the cartoony graphics and goofy plot. Even common enemies demand careful counter-attacking and blocking. Most activities boil down to your ability to press exactly the right button at exactly the right time. These challenges are rewarding if simple. Other bits that involve frenzied button-mashing or stylus-swiping are far less memorable.
The plot mostly concerns Bowser's attempts wrest control of his destiny back from the endlessly quotable Fawful, who's trying to conquer the Mushroom Kingdom using the goofiest methods possible. Fawful isn't new to Bowser's Inside Story but he really takes on a life of his own here, hilarious in every single appearance. The whole game manages to be funny from beginning to end, a feat few games can manage.
Bowser's Inside Story is a game that will have you laughing one moment and cursing the next but you'll enjoy doing both. The cutscenes and challenges are equally entertaining, if in very different ways. Bowser's Inside Story works hard to make sure it's never boring or mindlessly repetitive and quite nearly succeeds. It's a must have for any DS owner, especially fans of the Mario universe.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- CCUser Experience Designer - Part time - Short contractACT
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- CCDeployment EngineerSA
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - Technical BackgroundQLD
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - Six Sigma Black BeltVIC
- FTSAP BOBJ ConsultantACT
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTDevelopment Manager - SaaSQLD
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- FTBid ManagerVIC
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTDeveloper/ ProgrammerSA
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- CCProject Support SpecialistVIC
- TPJava DeveloperVIC
- FTJunior ITIL Service AnalystVIC
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- TPCrystal Reports DeveloperSA