Nintendo Australia Wario Land: Shake It!
A fun and whimsical platforming title.
- Highly engaging and eye pleasing visual style, perfect for younger Wii gamers
- Gameplay is a little too simplistic and repetitive for gamers looking for a challenge
Possessing the charm and vibrant visuals of a Saturday morning cartoon, Wario Land: Shake It! will definitely appeal to children; adult gamers, however, may find the gameplay repetitive and a tad dull.
Price$ 79.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
As far as spin-off characters go, Wario's had a pretty good career. Though he'll always live in the shadow of his more popular doppleganger Mario, he still manages to star in some awesome games like the frantic WarioWare. Now he's back with Wario Land: Shake It!, a fun and whimsical platforming title that's perfect for the younger Wii gamer.
All That Glitters
The more I played Shake It!, the more I became enamoured with the game's visual style. It really is one of the more vibrant and eye pleasing Wii games I've seen. The cartoon-like graphics are really whimsical and it fits Wario's greedy and grubby persona perfectly. Everything, from the characters to the level environments, left my inner-child smiling; it really is like watching a Saturday morning cartoon.
The gameplay, however, didn't thrill me as much. The level designs are rather simplistic, though there are plenty of hidden nooks and out of the way crannies to hunt down, and the treasure collecting missions felt a little repetitive after a while. The boss fights are also rather easy and won't challenge experienced gamers.
Still, the game does make good use of the Wii Remote-you hold the controller sideways and use the motion sensing for things like shaking money bags and initiating a powerful ground stomp — and there plenty of side missions to keep gamers busy. And I'm pretty positive that fans of platform games will find enough depth to keep them entertained throughout the game's main levels.
Despite its simplistic gameplay, the game is still worth playing, especially for the casual Wii gamer. It's fun, it's simple and it's charming, which pretty much describes most Wii games that hit big with that audience. And like I said, it's perfect for younger gamers so for them, it's an easy recommendation as well.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- A third of all PC gamers on Steam use Windows 10
- Film Victoria backs women in gaming with new fellowships
- Nintendo kicks off 2016 with new Zelda release and new 3DS
- Expensive gaming desktops and laptops thrive in slumping PC market
- The PS4 is the fastest selling console in Sony’s history
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCICT Infrastructure Specialist - (Network Engineer)ACT
- FTTechnical Lead (C#/.Net)NSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Oracle ProcurementSA
- CCSAP CRM Specialist- ABAPACT
- CCObjective ECMS Technical ConsultantSA
- CCApplication Support AnalystNSW
- FTJava or Ruby Web DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Superannuation FundVIC
- CCRisk AnalystVIC
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | Projects & BAU | Coastal Newcastle NSWWA
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Cloud / Telecommunications (Melb CBD)VIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - SecurityNSW
- CCIT Service Deliver & Improvement ManagerACT
- CCService Delivery Manager - Infrastructure/ApplicationsNSW
- CCData Stage DeveloperNSW
- FTProject Manager | Permanent position | NV1 NV2 cleared | Defence | Great cultureACT
- FTInsight / Customer / modelling - Analyst (Data Scientist)NSW
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical WriterNSW
- CCPortfolio-Program SchedulerNSW
- CCOracle Project OfficerSA
- FTSecurity ArchitectWA
- CCWeb Content WriterSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer 160120/AP/vvtAsia