Nokia 2600 Classic
Sure, it's flimsy -- but the price is right!
- Cheap, feature-packed, light
- Flimsy case, only 10MB of memory, lag when selecting folders and software in menu
Even though this mobile phone suffers from an occasionally laggy interface, a creaky case and a small amount of memory, its very low price and wide array of features make it worth a look.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Although the Nokia 2600 Classic has a creaky case, possesses limited internal memory and suffers from slow menu navigation, its features and low price generally make it worth considering.
Nokia has always been known for building handsets that are idiot-proof, and the 2600 Classic is no exception. The menu displays easily recognisable icons for accessing various functions like messaging. Unfortunately, opening folders and activating programs can sometimes take up to a second because of lag, which quickly becomes annoying.
Although the case looks very stylish — especially considering the low price point — it feels flimsy and every squeeze causes a creak or groan. On the plus side, it's very light at 73g and it has a slimline design.
The keypad's five-way navigational pad is slightly too small and the keys don't provide enough bounce-back. This hinders fast message typing as users slow down to visually confirm that each letter or number has actually been entered — this is made more frustrating by the system's lag. The 2600 Classic's 16-bit display is bright and displays colours reasonably well.
The features list is relatively impressive and identical to that of the Nokia 5000 . An FM radio, voice recorder, media player, Bluetooth 2.0 and a VGA camera are all included. Potential buyers shouldn't get too excited about the camera and media player, however, because the 2600 classic only has 10MB of internal memory which can't be expanded.
The PIM (Personal Information Management) software included is surprisingly useful, providing a very handy unit converter on top of the usual suite of a stopwatch, calculator, calendar and alarm clock.
Telstra offers the handset for $79 (plus an additional fee if you want it unlocked) and it is a feature-packed phone that is relatively versatile. If you can get past the fact that it squeaks more often than a rubber ducky, it is worth a look for budget-conscious buyers.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Telstra restores mobile network after mass outage
- Optus moves into wearables space with Cash by Optus
- BlackBerry’s PRIV hits Australian shores
- Apple might show off iPhone 5se and iPad Air 3 at March 15 event
- 34 per cent of global online transactions made mobile: Adyen
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - CanberraNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst (Telecommunications) / Melb CBDVIC
- FTSenior Linux Sys AdminNSW
- CCInformation Security ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Visual DesignerNSW
- CCSystems AnalystQLD
- FTSoftware Developer - Ruby on RailsNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (Java)NSW
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- CCJava Development Contract - MelbourneVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Online Gaming SystemsNSW
- FTSenior Performance Test AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCImmediate iOS Developer RequiredNSW
- FTProject Manager | Defence projects | NV1/NV2 cleared | Canberra basedACT
- CCEnterprise Systems Infrastructure SpecialistNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCCommercial Manager - Strategy / Big Data - Telecommunications -NSW
- CCSystem AdminVIC
- CCOracle Applications Projects Functional ConsultantSA
- FTApplication Packaging & Deployments Team LeaderNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - ApplicationsSA
- CCOrganisational Change AnalystQLD