Nokia Lumia 710 Windows Phone
Nokia Lumia 710 review: An admirable, if chunky entry-level Windows Phone
- Good performance
- Decent display
- Nokia Drive app
- 8GB memory with no expansion
- No Internet tethering feature
- Chunky design
Nokia's Lumia 710 doesn't offer anything remarkable, but a slick user experience at a very competitive price makes it great value for money. At under $400, the Lumia 710 is a much better option than most lower-end Android phones.
Price$ 379.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Amzer AMZ93361 Silicone Skin Jelly Case Cover f... 43.99
Nokia's Lumia 800 may have attracted most of the attention, but the company's entry-level Lumia 710 is probably more important for its long term Windows Phone strategy. At just $379, the Lumia 710 is relatively inexpensive and offers better performance than most Android phones at the same price, even if it does have a few annoying flaws.
A chunky design with a good screen
If you're comparing the Nokia Lumia 710 to the more expensive Lumia 800, the former obviously cuts back on a few features in order to obtain a more affordable price point. A glossy plastic body is the order of the day and it's a far thicker phone at a chunky 12.5mm. We like the glossy front (minus the fingerprint magnet surface) and the rubber-style plastic on the rear is comfortable to grip. There is little remarkable about the Lumia 710's design, but it does feel well constructed considering its low price.
The Nokia Lumia 710 (R) is thicker than the more expensive Lumia 800 (L). (Image credit: Phone-size.com)
We are normally fans of physical buttons, but the back, Start and search buttons on the Lumia 710 feel stubborn and require a firm press to activate. The same can be said for both the volume controls and the camera shutter key, though these feel slightly less stubborn than the shortcut keys below the display. Microsoft's insistence that all Windows Phones must have a dedicated camera key once again applies to the Lumia 710 and it's a welcome inclusion in our books.
The Nokia Lumia 710 has a smaller 3.7in display compared to the Lumia 800 and it's a standard TFT panel rather than an AMOLED screen. The Lumia 710 has the same 480x800 resolution as the Lumia 800 and also utilises Nokia's ClearBlack technology that aims to produce better blacks and extra visibility in sunlight. It doesn't display the same vibrant colours capable on the Lumia 800 and the whites are a little yellow for our liking, but the Lumia 710's screen is a real plus point on a device that retails for less than $400.
Next page: Software, performance, battery life and more
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Telstra restores mobile network after mass outage
- Optus moves into wearables space with Cash by Optus
- BlackBerry’s PRIV hits Australian shores
- Apple might show off iPhone 5se and iPad Air 3 at March 15 event
- 34 per cent of global online transactions made mobile: Adyen
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCSolution Architect - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- CCContract System Analyst (CISCO/SSLVPN/Firewall) 160211/SA/551Asia
- CCService ModellerNSW
- CCCisco Network EngineerNSW
- FTProject Manager | SharePoint, Office 365 SkillsVIC
- FTProject Manager | Permanent position | NV1 NV2 cleared | Defence | Great cultureACT
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCProject SchedulerVIC
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- CCSAP Primavera Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCIBM InfoSphere ConsultantACT
- FTBusiness Analyst (SCADA / CSI)VIC
- FTApplication Support AnalystVIC
- CCContract System Analyst (Network & System Mgt.) 160205/SA/561Asia
- CCTest AnalystACT
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (MSSQL/.Net/Mobile App) 160122/SA/vhaAsia
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | $60-90K package | ChatswoodNSW
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- CCSAP Business Intelligence SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- FTAnalyst: Business Intelligence & AnalyticsVIC
- CCProducts and Markets Business AnalystNSW