Feature rich with a low price
- DTS-HD decoding, 1080P DVD up-scaling, decent picture quality
- Poor standard-definition quality, only Profile 1.1
Olin’s OBDP-100 is a capable Blu-ray player with a reasonable price tag. It’s not the cheapest player available, but it is more capable than similarly priced competitors.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
Olin’s OBDP-1000 provides a compelling option for newcomers to the Blu-ray format thanks to bargain-bin pricing and a bevy of features.
Eschewing the tacky silver of other budget players, the OBPD-1000 is coated in glossy black for a similar styling to more expensive players. The player is a lot slimmer than most and will fit well in a modern home theatre setup.
Video connections include single composite, component and HDMI 1.3 outputs, while audio outputs include analog stereo, coaxial, optical and analog 7.1 surround.
Picture quality was largely without fault when playing Blu-ray discs, thanks to support for 1080/60p playback. While playing Blu-ray editions of The Guardian and Pearl Harbour the OBDP-1000 displayed fine detail without problems. Colours were balanced with no sign of tinting, and fast-motion sequences were largely displayed without aberrations. Jaggedness is visible on some edges, but for the most part we didn’t find this to be a problem. This player won’t give you state-of-the-art picture quality, but it can certainly hold its own.
The player’s video quality is at its worst when playing DVDs at standard definition. When testing The Matrix on a Sharp LC-37D33X as well as a Samsung LA40A650 at 576p quality was substandard. Erratic motion made the picture near unwatchable, while ghosting and image noise were fairly prevalent. Although this isn’t surprising for an entry-level player, we were amazed to find that the majority of these problems were rectified when we switched to 1080p. Ghosting was largely invisible although image noise was apparent, particularly on the LA40A650.
The player’s audio output is extremely capable for its price point, supporting built-in decoding for Dolby TrueHD, DTS and DTS-HD. Combined with the player’s support for 7.1 surround through either HDMI or its analog outputs, the player is capable of reproducing high quality audio. Given that DTS-HD decoding capability is normally reserved for players double the price of the OBDP-1000, this certainly distinguishes it from other entry-level players.
Although the OBDP-1000 won’t satisfy home theatre enthusiasts, it’s a solid player for its price point and an affordable entry into the world of high definition.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
- The guts of Onkyo's SBT-A500 sound bar come in an external box to give the speaker an ultra-low profile
- Plex embraces Kodi as Plex Media Player becomes available to all
- 'Google Cast' is being phased out in favor of Chromecast for connected TVs and speakers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- FTTechnical Support RepresentativeNSW
- TPSenior Network EngineerNSW
- TPTechnical Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTTechnical Consultant/Systems AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Risk & ComplianceNSW
- CCJava Developer/ Guidewire Developers - Brisbane basedVIC
- TPProject Manager - SAPQLD
- FTCheckpoint Firewall and VPNNSW
- TPTest ManagerQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - DataQLD
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- FTLevel 2 Help Desk SupportQLD
- CCAccessability TesterACT
- CCDevops EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystNSW
- CCArcSight Security Engineer - Contract - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- TPSQL Server DeveloperNSW
- CCMaster Planner /SchedulerQLD
- TPSenior Project Manager - Digital Application CX TransformationNSW
- CCProject Manager - Location Management Program - TelcoVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTLife/400 Developers / Programmers - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW