Feature rich with a low price
- DTS-HD decoding, 1080P DVD up-scaling, decent picture quality
- Poor standard-definition quality, only Profile 1.1
Olin’s OBDP-100 is a capable Blu-ray player with a reasonable price tag. It’s not the cheapest player available, but it is more capable than similarly priced competitors.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
Olin’s OBDP-1000 provides a compelling option for newcomers to the Blu-ray format thanks to bargain-bin pricing and a bevy of features.
Eschewing the tacky silver of other budget players, the OBPD-1000 is coated in glossy black for a similar styling to more expensive players. The player is a lot slimmer than most and will fit well in a modern home theatre setup.
Video connections include single composite, component and HDMI 1.3 outputs, while audio outputs include analog stereo, coaxial, optical and analog 7.1 surround.
Picture quality was largely without fault when playing Blu-ray discs, thanks to support for 1080/60p playback. While playing Blu-ray editions of The Guardian and Pearl Harbour the OBDP-1000 displayed fine detail without problems. Colours were balanced with no sign of tinting, and fast-motion sequences were largely displayed without aberrations. Jaggedness is visible on some edges, but for the most part we didn’t find this to be a problem. This player won’t give you state-of-the-art picture quality, but it can certainly hold its own.
The player’s video quality is at its worst when playing DVDs at standard definition. When testing The Matrix on a Sharp LC-37D33X as well as a Samsung LA40A650 at 576p quality was substandard. Erratic motion made the picture near unwatchable, while ghosting and image noise were fairly prevalent. Although this isn’t surprising for an entry-level player, we were amazed to find that the majority of these problems were rectified when we switched to 1080p. Ghosting was largely invisible although image noise was apparent, particularly on the LA40A650.
The player’s audio output is extremely capable for its price point, supporting built-in decoding for Dolby TrueHD, DTS and DTS-HD. Combined with the player’s support for 7.1 surround through either HDMI or its analog outputs, the player is capable of reproducing high quality audio. Given that DTS-HD decoding capability is normally reserved for players double the price of the OBDP-1000, this certainly distinguishes it from other entry-level players.
Although the OBDP-1000 won’t satisfy home theatre enthusiasts, it’s a solid player for its price point and an affordable entry into the world of high definition.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
- How to customize the Apple TV (fourth-generation) home screen
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCWindows EngineerVIC
- CCDB2 Database AdministratorACT
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- FTPython Data EngineerWA
- CCIT Support Officer- SAP (tool experience)NSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Windows 7/8/10) 160901/SA/212Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- CCTechnology Specialist Networks & SecurityVIC
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java Developer | EcommerceNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Contact CentresNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Programmer (IT Security/Website Admin.) 160824/P/567Asia
- CCBusiness Intelligence Business AnalystSA
- CCSenior Integration Specialist - IP NetworkVIC
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCData Analyst - multiples roles - EAM experience requiredNSW
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution Architect - WMS/LogisticsVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst/Designer, Funds ManagementNSW
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCProject Manager - Operational TechnologyQLD
- FTPMO SpecialistACT
- CCSolution Architect, Funds Management, Part time roleNSW