Olin Wireless Charger for iPhone
Olin's Wireless Charger for iPhone is convenient, but it has a few critical flaws and a high price tag
- Convenient for charging in an office environment, voltage/short circuit protection
- Chunky and poorly designed case, heats up when charging, only space for one iPhone, emits ticking sound while charging, overpriced
Though wireless charging could be convenient, the Olin Wireless Charger for iPhone has a few critical flaws.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
Wireless chargers have been talked about for years on end but it's only now that we're beginning to see them hit the market. Olin's Wireless Charger for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS is one of the first. Unfortunately, a few critical flaws meant it fell short of our expectations.
The Olin Wireless Charger for iPhone consists of a small charging pad and a specially designed case. Users simply attach the case to their iPhone and plug the charging pad into a power point. You then place the iPhone on the mat and it wirelessly charges. Olin claims the wireless charger has over- and under-voltage protection, short-circuit protection and overcharge protection.
The Olin Wireless Charger for iPhone sales package includes an iPhone case, and you can't purchase an extra one as a separate accessory. The case is chunkier than we'd like and its design isn't the most inspiring we've come across. A particular annoyance is the length it adds to the bottom of your iPhone — not only does this make the phone bigger than it should be, it also affects the volume of the iPhone's speakers. The case also blocks access to the dock connector, so you can't synchronise your iPhone with your PC or Mac while the case is attached.
The charging pad itself works as described, but it's only large enough to hold a single iPhone. A small blue LED on the front lights up when charging is taking place and the unit omits an annoying ticking sound. It's not loud, but in a quiet office environment it was instantly noticeable. The included case also gets quite hot while charging.
The Olin Wireless Charger for iPhone doesn't come cheap. While we like the idea of wireless charging, this product's flaws make it easy to overlook.
Olin also sells a similar charger for the Nintendo DS Lite, distributed in Australia by Westwell.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro hybrid Ultrabook
- 3 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 4 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 5 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Intel planning thumb-sized PCs for next year
- Uber, facing public backlash, will rethink privacy
- As Moore's Law approaches 50, Intel battling to keep up
- AT&T to pay $23.8 million to settle California dumping complaint
- SAP talks up Hana but small companies slow to sign on
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW