Olympus PEN E-PL2 digital camera (preview)
We spend some time with the Olympus PEN E-PL2 Micro Four Thirds digital camera: Is this the perfect compact camera for shooting video?
- Video mode, autofocusing, extra Art filter, 3in screen LCD screen, high-resolution screen
- We'll be sure to discover any flaws when we give it a thorough workout in our Test Centre
The Olympus PEN E-PL2 Micro Four Thirds camera contains plenty of improvements over the PEN E-PL1, including much smoother video capture and better autofocus performance. We look forward to giving it a thorough workout once it's released.
The wide angle adapter (WCON-P01). Source: Olympus.
The Macro converter (MCON-P01). Source: Olympus.
On the rear of the PEN E-PL2 you will find a new control system, which now includes a rotational thumb-control, rather than buttons, for changing settings such as the aperture and shutter speed, and you will also notice a slightly larger screen compared to the E-PL1 — 3in on the E-PL2 versus 2.7in on the E-PL1. The new screen is based on LCD technology and it has a resolution of 460K dots. (The XZ-1 is the first Olympus camera to use an OLED screen.)
The PEN E-PL2 sports a bigger screen than the PEN E-PL1. Source: Olympus.
We aren't able to judge the picture quality of the PEN E-PL2 just yet, but since it retains the same imaging engine as the previous PEN cameras, we expect it to shoot sharp and vibrant photos. The default ISO setting of the camera is now 200 (which is said to provide better dynamic range than ISO 100) and it can go up to 3200 in low-light environments. The in-camera filters have been given some tweaking, too. Some exciting filters, such as Pop Art, Grainy Film and Pin Hole can be adjusted now, and some art filters can be combined; you could combine the Soft filter with Pop Art, for example. A new filter is also available to play with: Dramatic. This filter smooths textures and adds plenty of contrast to a scene; it makes a photo look like it's had some HDR treatment, but it's definitely not an HDR filter. A border effect can now be added to photographs, too.
The Dramatic filter used in conjunction with the built-in border. Source: Olympus.
See more Olympus Art Filters in our gallery of the Olympus E-620.
For users who are new to photography and want to learn what different settings can do, or how various effects can be attained, the PEN E-PL2 retains the Live Guide feature, which is available in the iAUTO mode. This provides on-screen guidance for various shooting objectives, such as showing you how to shoot moving subjects. For professional users, the E-PL2 includes a wireless flash control that can control up to three groups of flashes. This is the same exact feature that's available in Olympus' top-of-the-line digital SLRs.
From what we saw, we can say that the PEN E-PL2 should become a sought-after little Micro Four Thirds–based digital camera, especially for users who want exceptional video quality. We can't wait to get our hands on it again to give it a thorough workout.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide's Gear Daily newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- Camera app makers tap into RAW power with iOS, and look forward to dual lenses
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- CCSAP Billing & Invoicing ConsultantNSW
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- TPSenior Java Developer - ContractQLD
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystACT
- CCLevel 1/2 SAP Support AnalystACT
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- CCGIS Developer - GeocortexWA
- TPIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- CCNetwork Engineer/ Network AdministratorQLD
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- TPTechnical Report EditorQLD
- FTSenior Project Manager - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- CCDeployment EngineerSA
- CCSenior Mobile Application DeveloperNSW
- FTERP ConsultantQLD
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- FTDeveloper/ ProgrammerSA
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorACT