- Excellent audio quality, USB Key means plug-and-go, Build Quality
- Can’t charge via USB, Battery compartment springs open
For anyone whose job involves interviews, presentations and conferences or who needs instant memos, this is a must-buy. Audio quality, storage capacity and price are all superb.
Price$ None (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Dictaphones have come on in leaps and bounds over the past few years. The extra bang you get for your buck - thanks to higher-quality audio recording technology and cheaper flash memory - really makes a difference. The WS-200S from Olympus makes good use of today's technology, providing a lot of storage space at a reasonable price.
The WS-200S comes with 128MB of storage, providing up to 54 hours of recording in long-play mode, and the audio files are stored as WMA files. You can put the audio setting all the way up to Stereo High Quality, and while this only offers some four hours of recording, the audio quality is excellent. One rather nifty addition is that it snaps in half to reveal a USB key. This means the WS-200S is plug-and-go. You don't need any extra hardware or software to operate this Dictaphone and it can be used as a normal USB storage key so you can store data such as spreadsheets and presentations.
The bundle includes stereo headphones, a USB extension, a strap and one AAA alkaline battery. While it doesn't use much power, it would be better if you didn't need to buy replacement consumables. It would also be nice to be able to recharge from a PC or notebook when it's plugged in. Build quality is pretty good. Although the WS-200S is all plastic, it feels tough enough to cope with the rigours of travel. The buttons depress nicely, making it comfortable to use.
The only problem we found with the WS-200S was that it was easy to hit the spring-loaded battery flap when you're opening the hardware, making the battery pop out like a (not very) speeding bullet. However, if you're being driven mad by PowerPoint, a quick game of Russian Roulette might at least make the time pass more quickly.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTUX Front-End DeveloperWA
- FTBusiness Analyst - Superannuation FundVIC
- FTNetwork Engineer | Canberra | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projectsVIC
- CCSenior Test AnalystSA
- FTJunior Developer | C#, MVC & SQL | Class FinanceNSW
- CCSharePoint EngineerACT
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- CCMid to Senior Level User Experience SpecialistsNSW
- CCProject Server Specialist / MS ProjectNSW
- CCMultiple Senior Business Analyst opportunitiesSA
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381Asia
- FTTeam Lead ITIL- Permanent OpportunityVIC
- FTTechnical Support Engineer, International SoftwareNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Systems/SAN EngineerNSW
- CCContract Software Engineer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160129/SE/vccAsia
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst (Telecommunications) / Melb CBDVIC
- CCTest AnalystACT
- CCInformation ArchitectQLD
- FTLogistics Systems ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Cloud / Telecommunications (Melb CBD)VIC