onOne PhotoTune 2.2
- Fast tools to correct colour
- Not much on offer for creative pros
PhotoTune is more of a production tool than a creative one, and of limited use to design professionals.
Price$ 129.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
PhotoTune is based on two plug-ins from the company of the same name, which OnOne acquired in September. It includes SkinTune and 20/20 Color MD – renamed ColorTune here, perhaps to stop it sounding like an alcoholic drink favoured by students. Since OnOne acquired them, the company has updated both to version 2.2.
Both plug-ins offer colour correction tools aimed at creatives working with large numbers of images. SkinTune corrects images based on skin tones. You select an area of skin using an eyedropper tool, then select the ethnicity of the person (African, Asian, Caucasian, Latin, Middle Eastern or All, for people of mixed race), and the plug-in adjusts the colour of the overall image based on its knowledge of skin tone characteristics.
ColorTune adjusts images by offering you a series of two variations on it that you select between in a similar fashion to having an eye test. It's a curious idea, but it works – delivering much improved images in six steps.
The version 2.2 updates allow both to work on 16-bit images, which is great for photographers working with RAW images. They both also work as Smart Filters in Photoshop CS3, which makes changing their results easier.
OnOne has rejigged ColorTune's core ColorWizard, which used to require 13 steps. However, while it's great for novices, experienced Photoshop users won't find it any faster than traditional correction.
SkinTune is more useful, as it produces naturalistic results often in a single click. It works well with most of the skin colours in our test shots – even with extreme lighting conditions. You need to be careful where you click with unevenly lit skin though (as in the shot shown above) to get the best results.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft claims 110M devices now run Windows 10
- Windows 10 growth slows, but breaks 100M device mark
- Google Photos’ big, helpful Android update goes live
- Microsoft’s Sydney store will open its doors on 12 November
- Tim Cook on Apple and Microsoft partnership: 'It's what customers want'
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- CCWeb / Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW