Opera Software Opera 8
Opera has always concentrated on new features that soon seem indispensable (it was the first browser to support tabbed windows, for example).
Similarly, mouse gestures - move through pages by holding down the right key and moving your pointer left or right - soon become second nature. The interface has had a major overhaul, other new features include the Fit-to-window option (to avoid horizontal scrolling), and better support for removing pop-ups (no longer all-or-nothing as with SP2's amendments to Internet Explorer). You also get voice control.
In the past, Opera had much difficulty rendering certain Web pages. While this may be the fault of developers, it was still a nuisance. A development that's not new to version 8 but works well in this release is that the browser can now "spoof" itself as Internet Explorer (or Firefox) and this works quite well.
Opera is fast and secure, instantly rendering pages that can take a few seconds in other applications. The options to delete private data are much better than Internet Explorer and clicking on the padlock icon for secure sites provides information about who operates the security certificate for them.
Opera 8 is a slick and fully featured browser, but Opera is the only browser to make you use either a version with advertisements or pay for an ad-free version. In general, those adverts are easy to ignore if you don't want to shell out.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- NBN Co's poor document security enabled document leaks that could have been avoided
- Microsoft breaks own design rules in dupe-the-user Windows 10 upgrade tactic
- Top 30 AWS cloud services
- Update to Google Docs, Sheets, Slides lets them automatically save recent files offline
- The speed you need: Pyne and Albanese clash on NBN
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTVMWare Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- CCRelease Manager, SAPNSW
- CCSenior IT Security Specialist-SANS, ISC2, ISACA, ITILNSW
- CCData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- CCechnical Specialist ApplicationsACT
- CCTransition Manager / Project ManagerQLD
- FTAX Lead Technical ConsultantNSW
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCIT Environment and Deployment SpecialistQLD
- FTApplication Support EngineerVIC
- CCService Desk ConsultantACT
- CCiOS Developer x 2NSW
- CCChange Manager - SAP FinanceNSW
- CCOracle DBA | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- CCDevOps Software Configuration ManagerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET C#/MS ASP .NET) 160526/AP/263Asia
- CCContract Programmer (HTML/JAVA/SQL) 160525/P/013Asia
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCDigital Business Analyst (iOS & Android / Web Projects)NSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, Service Performance, RetailNSW
- CCTechnical Service LeadNSW
- CCOpen Source Specialist / Senior ConsultantQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/.Net) 160523/AP/254Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160523/AP/254Asia
- CCDeemed Order Business SpecialistVIC