- Good video quality, inexpensive HD support
- Some features require advanced knowledge
While the device offers clean, clear images for anybody looking to make the switch to digital television, a few slight glitches make it unsuitable for the mainstream.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
It has been a long time coming, but digital television is just starting to take off in Australia. Most channels are broadcasting supplementary content in addition to their regular programming, with SBS and ABC leading the way. Many vendors are looking to capitalise on the boom by offering digital set-top boxes designed to convert these digital signals into a format that can be played back on the average TV.
Optima's DTRA10HD00 set-top box features silver and black trim and measures 39 x 26 x 8cm; easily allowing it to fit into just about any hi-fi cabinet. It's also relatively light, tipping the scales at a reasonable 2.4kg.
The front fascia offers menu, volume, channel change and "ok" buttons to drive navigation, while the rear panel houses all the cable attachments. RF antenna in and out connectors are provided as a standard, along with component, composite, S-video, VGA and DVI outputs. A S/PDIF digital audio adapter is also present, along with a serial port for performing firmware upgrades on the hardware.
The rear face includes a switch to toggle between 576i, 576p, 720p and 1080i output modes, and another to select between DVI, VGA and component destinations. While this sort of manual switching is fine for an advanced user, a novice may have some difficulties in selecting the appropriate output. What's more, this function should be driven from the remote control instead of the backplate, as changing settings could involve removing the device from a hi-fi cabinet.
The system is relatively quick to set up - it takes just takes just a few minutes to scan for channels, and the remote control and menu system combined to make navigation straightforward for anybody comfortable with new technology. However, it can be a little bit daunting for beginners and we didn't find the manual to be a tremendous help.
In operation, the DTRA10HD00 works extremely well, offering both 4:3 standard and 16:9 widescreen support and MPEG-2 HD/SD decoding. The device will automatically downmix 5.1 AC3 audio to two channel Dolby Prologic Surround sound for output through stereo speakers, and the audio quality is surprisingly good. 1080i / 720p / 576p video modes are available through both component and VGA outputs, while composite and S-video offer both PAL and NTSC formats. Teletext is also available, and the entire system is backed up by a one year warranty.
The Optima DTRA10HD00 represents good value for anybody looking to make the switch to digital television, but unfortunately the company is only currently making it available as a bundle with their plasma TVs.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPICT Project CoordinatorQLD
- FTMicrosoft ProgrammerSA
- FTWeb Developer/ReportsNSW
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- CCTest AnalystWA
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- TPUI/UX ConsultantWA
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- TPInformation Security OfficerACT
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 requiredSA
- TPProject Manager to manage two concurrent ProjectsQLD
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- TPProject ManagerOther
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- FTDeveloper - Java/J2EEQLD
- FTWeb Developer / Applications AnalystQLD
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global BrandNSW
- TPJava DeveloperVIC
- FTStorage Solution ArchitectVIC
- TPMobile DeveloperWA