- Wi-Fi support, Bluetooth, large screen and memory
- Expensive, slightly large
While expensive, the LifeDrive is an excellent PDA packed full of features, and it would surely satisfy even the most demanding of business users.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
Palm's LifeDrive mobile manager is a sleek, silver device that not only looks good, but is packed full of features, including a 4GB hard drive, and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth support.
The LifeDrive's sturdy silver casing looks professional. Unlike the Palm Tungsten E2, the stylus input area is built into the screen, which is significantly larger than most other models. Below the screen is an easy-on-the-fingers, five-way navigational button as well as four convenient customisable shortcut buttons for Home, Files, Media and PocketTunes. The LifeDrive does not include a keyboard, but it's an optional accessory.
The LifeDrive has a large 320 x 480 TFT touch screen with support for 65,000 colours. It looks good in both low-light and daytime conditions and its colour and brightness are very impressive. A handy feature of the LifeDrive is its rotating screen, which changes to portrait or landscape orientation when you press a button on the side of the PDA. This is particularly useful for viewing and working with Microsoft Office documents.
The LifeDrive is powered by Intel's 416MHz XScale processor and contains 16MB of ROM. It has a rechargeable lithium ion battery, and a memory card slot at the top which supports SD, SDIO and MMC cards. The LifeDrive battery (non-removable) can be recharged by an AC adapter.
Running Palm OS 5.4, the LifeDrive comes with the usual Palm applications, plus DataViz's Documents To Go for viewing and editing Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and converted PDF files. It also includes calendar, contacts and task management applications, and can synchronise email with Microsoft Outlook.
The LifeDrive comes with a photo viewer and a voice recorder. The large, vibrant screen was great for viewing photos, while the voice recorder was clear and the sound quality good for a unit this size. This PDA can also be used as an MP3 player, with sound provided by a standard set of stereo headphones (not included), or the PDA's speaker. While the speaker does its job, the sound quality wasn't great for audio files.
Measuring 12.1 x 7.3 x 1.9cm and weighing 192.8 grams, the LifeDrive is slightly heavier and larger than most of its PDA contemporaries, but it still fits nicely in your hand.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen.) android smartphone
- 5 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- FCC: A range of net neutrality options remain on the table
- Pirate Bay co-founder sentenced to 3.5 years imprisonment in Denmark
- Google to kill off SSL 3.0 in Chrome 40
- BlackBerry upgrades BBM with timed messages
- Facebook sets up shop on the Tor anonymity network
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTDigital PR SpecialistNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW