- Captures and stores video of exceptional quality, 5.1 channel audio
- Compression format means you can't edit video yet, limited included software
The current editing limitations are significant, but once the software catches up, the Panasonic HDC-SD1 will be an excellent camcorder.
Price$ 2,419.00 (AUD)
The Panasonic HDC-SD1 is a camcorder that can capture outstanding footage, but you can't edit the video just yet.
We were originally skeptical about a camcorder that records high-definition video onto an SD Card. What kind of compression is going on behind the scenes to make it fit? However, our doubts soon faded, as the HDC-SD1 captures and stores video of exceptional quality. Unfortunately, for the moment, the compression format it uses introduces a different problem: an inability to edit your video.
At its best quality setting, the HDC-SD1 records 40 minutes of 1080i video to an included 4GB SD Card. This camcorder uses the AVCHD format developed by Panasonic and Sony. When we tested the HDC-SD1, no video editing software supported the format, but Sony says it will offer a free update in the near future to allow its Vegas video editor to import such files. Users of the HDC-SD1 also need a very powerful computer to edit the video once the applications to do so are available, as well as an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray drive if they want to export it from a computer in HD. Forget about using the software included with the camcorder. Athough users can use it to export standard-definition video to a DVD, it's nearly useless beyond that. You are unable to use it to watch your footage in full-screen on a computer.
Since the camcorder has component outputs and an HDMI port, however, you can play back the unedited footage in high-definition on an HDTV. Video we captured in well-lit settings looked gorgeous, and even video taken in relatively dim, indoor rooms looked surprisingly good. Importantly, it was much better than footage from the standard-definition camcorders we've reviewed. The HDC-SD1's microphone captures 5.1-channel audio, too. We weren't able to test it with a surround-sound system, but it sounded quite good through standard television speakers.
Panasonic says the HDC-SD1 is the smallest HD camcorder yet, and it's certainly far more compact than many standard-definition models, despite its larger-than-average, 3in LCD. The tube-shaped body measures roughly 2.5in in diameter and 5.5in long, so it's very comfortable to hold. The HDC-SD1 has some manual controls, though they could be easier to use. To adjust the shutter speed, for example, users must press a tiny joystick on the back once for each step in speed (you can't just hold it down).
Overall, while the current editing limitations are significant, once the software catches up, the Panasonic HDC-SD1 will be an excellent camcorder.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- U2 tours with all-flash array to rock latest video effects
- Olympus targets movie makers with OM-D E-M5 Mark II camera
- Sony unveils cheapest 4K camcorder yet
- Netflix: We're launching Down Under in March of 2015
- SanDisk eyes 4K video market with high-speed 512GB SD card
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC