Panasonic ST50A plasma TV (preview)
Panasonic’s ST50 plasma may be the best value TV this year
- Astonishingly low street price
- Strong Panasonic picture quality heritage
- Good design
- Inferior Smart TV implementation may be a problem
Panasonic’s ST50A plasma should have great image quality, but a middling Smart TV implementation might hold it back from being a jack of all trades. We already know that it’s exceptionally good value.
Price$ 1,749.00 (AUD)
The Panasonic TH-P50ST50A, a 50-inch Full HD 3D-ready plasma, is the second best TV in Panasonic’s 2012 line-up. Although the company is slowly shifting away from plasma to LED (and eventually OLED) technology, the ST50A might prove to be the best value TV in Australia this year.
Panasonic ST50A: Design
Panasonic’s plasmas are getting thinner, lighter and better looking with each year that goes on. We’ve got a 50-inch Pioneer KURO as a benchmark, and while the ST50A doesn’t have the same tank-like build quality it’s a hell of a lot thinner and less imposing.
The dark grey surround and transparent bezel look nice, the TV can swivel on its stand, the screen is glossy without being a mirror: all of this adds up to a good-looking package.
Panasonic ST50A: Features
VIERA Connect has direct access to YouTube, Facebook, Quickflix, BigPond Movies, ABC iView, Skype, PLUS7 and the VIERA Market app store. From our initial testing the interface is a little slow and the app selection isn’t fantastic — but whether this second-rate service is a problem remains to be seen.
We’ve always given most importance to TV’s picture quality over any other feature, because for a mere $150 you can buy a Smart Blu-ray player (we’d pick a Samsung) for all the extra content you’d ever need. For what it’s worth, the Panasonic ST50A scores marks for including a built-in Wi-Fi b/g/n adapter and Bluetooth for trouble-free 3D glasses syncing.
Panasonic ST50A: Picture quality
From our half-hour sit-down with the ST50A so far, its True Cinema picture mode looks like one of the best all-round quality picture settings we’ve seen straight out of the box (short of the aforementioned Pioneer KURO’s Optimum mode).
ISF calibration options seem to be missing or at least well-hidden, so cinemaphiles might have to stump up for the more expensive DT50A.
The Panasonic ST50A is a Full HD 1080p panel that’s the 15th generation of plasmas produced by the company. Pioneer’s technicians defected to Panasonic in 2009, so the Japanese plasma manufacturer is at least the spiritual home of the world’s best plasma TVs.
We’ve always liked the 50-inch screen size — 1080p content looks great on that pixel size from a regular viewing distance, and it’s not imposingly large. We’re keen to give this Panasonic TH-P50ST50A more of a test run soon.
We already know the Panasonic ST50A is excellent value. Its $1749 RRP for the 50-inch is impressively low, but we've found it with a street price of $1249 — that kind of cost-cutting so soon after launch goes to show how competitive the TV market is at the moment.
Is there anything you’d like us to test when we review the Panasonic ST50A? Let us know in the comments below.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Smart TVs at risk from cyber crooks, report finds
- HiSense keeps the Sharp name alive with a slew of new big-screen TVs
- All Samsung smart TVs will be 'IoT-ready' in 2016
- UPDATED: LG faces court for misleading customers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (MSSQL/.Net/Mobile App) 160122/SA/vhaAsia
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW
- FTProject Manager | Permanent position | NV1 NV2 cleared | Defence | Great cultureACT
- CCOracle CC&B Technical AnalystVIC
- CCWintel Engineer with Sharepoint 2010 / 2013NSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Network & System Mgt.) 160205/SA/561Asia
- FTC# .Net DeveloperSA
- CCInfrastructure ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- CCSharepoint AdministratorVIC
- CCSAP ABAP ProgrammersACT
- FTProgram ManagerNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (SQL/.net) 160205/SA/561Asia
- FTInsight / Customer / modelling - Analyst (Data Scientist)NSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCSharePoint AdministratorACT
- CCMaster SchedulerVIC
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- CCAndroid and iOS DevelopersVIC
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- CCWeb DeveloperNSW