Panasonic TH-50PZ850A plasma television
A good value Panasonic plasma television with an SD card slot and acceptable image quality
- Well-designed remote, SD card slot
- Average picture quality
The Panasonic TH-50PZ850A is pretty good value, especially in view of its generous array of extra features.
Price$ 3,899.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- NA-140VX3WAU 10kg Front Load Washing Machine - ... 1347.00
The Panasonic TH-50PZ850A is a pretty good value, especially in view of its generous array of extra features. Not only can it display your pictures and run your videos off its SD card slot, but this set also does an adequate, though not extraordinary, job displaying movies and TV shows.
The 480Hz Sub-Field Drive promises to improve fast-moving sequences by flashing the image eight times for every frame, or 480 times per second. But in our image quality tests, we didn't detect any tangible improvement. Though I liked the way the Panasonic TH-PZ850A handled fast motion in the Mission: Impossible III Blu-ray test clip, not all of the other judges agreed. And this TV did a poor job in our other fast-movement test — the 720p NASCAR clip. There I noticed heavy pixelation surrounding the cars as they spun around the track in a wide shot.
Overall, we deemed the Panasonic TH-PZ850A's picture quality good but not great. Among the problems judges noted were pixelation in long shots, reddish tones on Caucasian skin, and a bad overscan when handling a 720p source. The Panasonic TH-50PZ850A also has an SD Card slot. It can show you a slideshow of your JPEG photos, or play your videos if they're in AVCHD or MPEG2 format.
The model does have a very good (albeit not backlit) programmable remote. It's long, but the buttons are big and easy to find with your thumb.
The blocky on-screen menus aren't pretty, but they're functional and easy to read. If you get confused, a picture at the bottom of the menu reminds you where the OK and Return buttons are and what to do with them. An easy-access Sub Menu (a poor choice of name; it's not a submenu but a secondary, small, and simple menu) lets you change common options such as Closed Captioning and Favorites without having to navigate the main menu.
The sound quality is acceptable, but no better than that. It emulates surround sound reasonably well and becomes only slightly strained when things get loud. But you won't want to depend on your TV's speakers if sound is important to you.
I wish that the image quality were a bit better, but the Panasonic TH-50PZ850A is definitely worth its price. A higher-rated big-screen plasma television to consider is the LG 50PG30FD.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- LG releases first flat screen OLED TV in Australia
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Smart TVs at risk from cyber crooks, report finds
- HiSense keeps the Sharp name alive with a slew of new big-screen TVs
- All Samsung smart TVs will be 'IoT-ready' in 2016
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (SQL/.net) 160205/SA/561Asia
- CCOracle Business AnalystSA
- CCBusiness Project Manager - Transformation ProgramNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCProject ManagerSA
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW
- CCFront End Developer - MelbourneVIC
- CCService Desk ManagerVIC
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTWeb Analytics Specialist - TechnicalNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (C#/.Net)NSW
- FTSenior Performance Test AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Process Analyst - Supply ChainVIC
- CCContract System Analyst (MSSQL/.Net/Mobile App) 160122/SA/vhaAsia
- CCJava Development Contract - MelbourneVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - ComplianceVIC
- CCProgram Manager - Big Data - Telecommunications - UrgentNSW
- CCAEM DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - AdventedgeVIC