Panasonic VIERA TH-58PZ700A
- Excellent high definition and gaming performance, great integrated speakers
- Some issues with standard-definition scaling, small amounts of pixelation in PC mode
This is a great TV, but it does come at a high price. For purely high-definition playback, however, it's hard to beat.
Price$ 8,799.00 (AUD)
Panasonic's VIERA TH-58PZ700A is a 58-inch 1080p plasma, capable of delivering some incredible images, and perfect for any movie lover. Its excellent high-definition capabilities combined with very respectable standard definition and gaming performance make it a great choice for anyone looking for a well rounded and high quality display.
We tested high-definition playback with a range of HD-DVD and Blu-ray movies, and were delighted with the results. The movies were displayed flawlessly on the panel, with deep blacks, rich colours, smooth motion even in high action scenes, and no image aberrations to speak of.
Our gaming tests were equally as impressive - fast-paced action as well as both light and dark scenes were rendered smoothly and free of any problems such as contrast stepping or over-sharpening. We did notice some slight pixelation on curved edges at times, but the overall gaming experience was excellent.
Standard definition has long been the Achilles' heel of 1080p displays, due to the huge amount of scaling required to fit a standard-definition image across the entire screen. Nevertheless, the TH-58PZ700A handles it quite respectably. We noticed occasional artefacts in certain situations (such as a moving shot of a finely detailed background through a flyscreen), however for the most part, playback was clear and detailed. This unit is definitely one of the better 1080p TVs for standard-definition playback that we've seen.
We tested the PC connectivity and found it to be reasonably good; suitable for most uses but not quite perfect. We noticed some sharpness and pixelation problems in text and desktop icons, but these are hard to overcome due to the amount of scaling needed to display the image. Colours were good, and we were generally able to use the PC comfortably with the panel as a monitor.
The integrated digital HD tuner performed well, with a quick scan and great high-definition playback. The unit's integrated speakers are very impressive, with basic calibration options such as right/left balance and bass/treble adjustment available in the menu system. Volume output was quite good in out tests, with only minor distortion evident at the highest volumes.
The panel's design is attractive, with a piano black bezel and curved stand, and should fit well into any living room. The rear panel connections are very well organised and easy to access, and include three HDMI ports.
The Panasonic VIERA TH-58PZ700A is a display that's very hard to fault. Its performance faults are largely confined to peripheral functions, while its primary purpose - high-definition playback - is handled exceptionally. It does come at a premium price, but at the same time, it's a premium product. If you're in the market for a big, high quality display, the TH-58PZ700A is worth checking out.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Japan starts 8K TV broadcasts in time for Rio Olympics
- Android TV's universal search feature finally works with Netflix
- Vizio’s latest 4K TVs make eye-popping HDR more affordable
- Netflix flips the switch on eye-popping HDR video streaming
- Sony’s pricey Ultra video-streaming service goes live today, but you'll need a new high-end 4K Sony TV to use it
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCWindows EngineerVIC
- CCChange Manager/ Advisor- operational environmentNSW
- CCMessaging Services Systems AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst/Designer, Funds ManagementNSW
- CCDevOps Engineer - Php, LAMP, XML, scripting, JavaNSW
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Big Data AnalyticsNSW
- CCProject Manager (Application Dev. & Mgt.) 160906/PM/472Asia
- CCSalesforce CRM ManagerNSW
- CCSolution Architect - POSVIC
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Cognos/JAVA/J2EE) 160831/SA/122Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCContract Senior Web Developer (PHP/Drupal/JAVA) 160808/SWD/vtdAsia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- CCProgram Director, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160826/AP/972Asia
- CCLean Six Sigma Project ManagerVIC
- CCTechnology Specialist Networks & SecurityVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCAsset Transfer Specialist | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- FTClient Engagement ManagerVIC