Panasonic VIERA TH-P55VT30A plasma TV (preview)
Panasonic VIERA VT30A preview: A plasma television with some serious picture quality credentials
- If specs are anything to go by picture quality should be excellent
- It looks like Panasonic's VIERA Connect is going to offer less than competitors' smart TV services
The Panasonic VIERA VT30 series looks like it's got some great picture quality upgrades over last year's model. Considering the jump in picture quality we saw between Panasonic's 2009 and 2010 TVs, we're optimistic about the VIERA VT30's abilities. We're concerned that the TV's VIERA Connect service won’t be as comprehensive as other manufacturers' IPTV offerings, though.
Panasonic's VIERA TH-P55VT30A and VIERA TH-P65VT30A make up the company's top plasma TV range, the VT30 series. These 55in and 65in plasmas should offer excellent picture quality — if the last two years' top Panasonic plasma TVs are any indication — and an improved IPTV and Web service called VIERA Connect.
According to the news that came out of CES this year, there'll be no 50in VIERA VT30, with only 55in and 65in models offered. The Panasonic VT20 from 2010 was available in 50in, 58in and 65in sizes. We would have liked to see a 42in model offered — not everyone has the space for a 55in TV in their house. We're expecting picture quality to be even better than last year's Panasonic VIERA VT20 plasma — which we thought had the best 3D picture quality of any TV in 2010 — due to advancements in Panasonic's plasma panel production and image processing.
VIERA Connect is Panasonic's new name for the IPTV and Web features of its VIERA plasmas and LED TVs. We don't know what IPTV services will be on offer in Australia yet, but to keep up with competitors Panasonic will have to include a movie streaming service like BigPond Movies on Demand, at least one major catch-up TV service like ABC iView, and possibly some linear streaming TV 'channels' a la BigPond TV. We do know that Web services du jour Facebook, Twitter and Skype will all be available on the Panasonic VIERAs. The biggest problem with Panasonic's VIERA Connect is that competitors Sony and Samsung will likely be able to offer more — Samsung has Smart TV and Sony has Sony Internet TV.
We'll know more details on the Australian price and release date for all Panasonic's 2011 plasma TVs in early April.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Smart TVs at risk from cyber crooks, report finds
- HiSense keeps the Sharp name alive with a slew of new big-screen TVs
- All Samsung smart TVs will be 'IoT-ready' in 2016
- UPDATED: LG faces court for misleading customers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTSenior Systems/SAN EngineerNSW
- CCJava Developer - Front/ Back EndVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence AnalystVIC
- FTFront End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamNSW
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | Projects & BAU | Coastal Newcastle NSWWA
- CCSenior Business Analyst - IT SecurityNSW
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | $60-90K package | ChatswoodNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Enterprise Software SolutionNSW
- CCSystems AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/AP/541Asia
- CCContract System Analyst (Website/PHP development) 160122/SA/vmtAsia
- CCSAP ABAP ProgrammersACT
- FTSenior Mobile Developer - IOSNSW
- CCSharepoint AdministratorVIC
- CCVMWare Horizon View 6.1 roll out & IT support | Short contract | Macquarie ParkNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCEnterprise Systems Infrastructure SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - ComplianceVIC
- CCAutomation QAVIC
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | Canberra | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projectsVIC