Panda Antivirus Pro 2010
Panda Antivirus Pro 2010 is a fair performer
- Simple tabbed interface, solid feature set
- Changing program settings is a pain
Panda Antivirus Pro 2010 does a decent job at malware blocking but doesn’t stand out.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
Panda Antivirus Pro 2010 ($69.95 for a one-year, three-PC licence) offers strong traditional malware detection, but is dragged down by negatives like poor behavioural scans.
In scans performed by AV-Test.org, Panda did well in traditional signature-based detection of known malware. Its 99.8 percent block rate placed it third in that category, behind only the G-Data and McAfee apps. However, it didn't fare as well in tests that gauge how well a program can identify and block new malware that doesn't yet have a signature. In heuristic tests that use 2-week-old signature files, Panda identified 53.7 percent of newer malware samples, which earning it eighth place in that category.
The program's ability to immediately check unknown files against Panda's online servers can help mitigate that relatively unimpressive showing, since this cloud computing approach can use the latest signatures as soon as they're available. But the app also fared poorly in behavioural analysis tests that measure how well a security program can identify malware based on how it acts. In those tests it successfully blocked only two out of 15 brand-new samples, which put it in last place among those programs that include the feature (not all do).
This app did well at getting rid of existing infections, and successfully disabled all 10 test infections. It also did a good job with a third-place tie when it came to cleaning up less-important files and system changes made by malware, which are often left behind by antivirus apps. However, it left one active rootkit in place; many of the programs we tested were able to remove all these samples of stealth malware.
Panda does sport a solid array of features. The company doesn't offer any program without a firewall, so you'll get one with Antivirus Pro (although we didn't test it as part of our recent AV software tests). It also scans Web, e-mail and IM traffic for threats, and can check for missing Windows patches (malware authors often target existing security holes that users may have left unpatched). And its program interface is easy to get around, with different tabs for status, scans, reports, and the like.
However, checking or changing the program's settings can be a pain. A preferences link at the top of its window only shows a subset of the available options, with others split between separate settings links on the status and scan tabs. And while some of the settings and other program areas offer links to the relevant help sections, not all do. Without such links you're stuck manually searching for what you need.
Panda's middle-of-the-road rank befits its middling status. It does a fair job, but it's outperformed by other apps.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Apple slates March 21 event, with 4-in. iPhone likely on the stage
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- ASUS launches world’s first liquid-cooled gaming laptop
- Tablets replace books for kids back at school
- Dell agrees to acquire EMC for US$67 billion
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSr Project Manager - BASELINEACT
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- FTProject Administrator (Agile)WA
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager (12-month renewable contract)Asia
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCOracle DevelopersACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (CISCO/Firewall/Network) 160819/SA/423Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- FTIT ManagerAsia
- CCETL DeveloperACT
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- CCPersonal AssistantVIC
- CCChange Manager/ Advisor- operational environmentNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTProject SchedulerSA
- FTJava Tech Lead - Full StackNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Windows 7/8/10) 160901/SA/212Asia
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperVIC
- FTIT Manager - Infrastructure Strategy and OperationsNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCTIM / TAM ArchitectACT