Pantone Huey Monitor Calibration Tool
- Easy to use, Works a charm
- Hard to set up, need to upgrade drivers to use
The Huey monitor calibration tool is easy to use, though its controls are basic
Price$ 200.00 (AUD)
If you've ever fought to get the photos you print at home to look like the images you've been adjusting on screen, an incorrectly calibrated monitor was likely at the heart of your problem. Enter the Pantone Huey, an inexpensive monitor calibration tool that works well so long as it plays nicely with your graphics board.
Setup is simple through the basic software, which offers few adjustable settings. You change color temperature and contrast by selecting one of nine presets, several of which are optimised for specific situations such as photo viewing and gaming. Just stick the Huey sensor on your screen, and help the software along with an occasional mouse click as it flashes a series of color and gray patches on screen for the sensor to read.
The Huey conveniently provides periodic recalibration -- from every 10 seconds to every 4 hours -- based on the room's changing lighting conditions. You place the sensor in its stand, facing you. As nighttime falls or as your overhead lights turn on, the software adjusts the monitor's color temperature and luminosity. When we covered up the sensor, the software dimmed our monitor; when we shone a light directly at it, the screen brightened.
Getting the Huey to function may require that you update your graphics board's drivers. We tried the shipping product on three PCs running Windows XP. The software worked as expected on the desktops with ATI Radeon X600 and nVidia GeForce2 MX boards installed, but the product was unable to calibrate an LCD hooked up to an ATI Radeon X300 card until I updated the X300's drivers from ATI's tech support site.
If basic monitor calibration is all you need, you'll likely find the Huey's color presets and minimal features adequate and easy to use.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Chinese $1.2B deal for Opera crumples
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1060 is a budget GTX 980 killer
- NBN raids: Conroy calls for end to ‘ludicrous’ AFP investigation
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCSAP MM / Ariba Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTAX Lead Functional ConsultantWA
- CCPortfolio AnalystVIC
- FTCloud EngineerVIC
- CCIOS DeveloperWA
- CCSenior PHP Developer (12 month contract )VIC
- FTDesktop Specialist - Application PackagingACT
- CCService Lead - Cloud hosting and storageNSW
- CCCRM Technical Consultant / DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (Lotus Notes/PC LAN) 160722/ITA/474Asia
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160802/ITA/991Asia
- CCApplication Tester - Windows 10 ProjectWA
- CCContract Systems Analyst (HP-UX/Oracle RDBMS) 160720/SA/113Asia
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTPortfolio Governance ConsultantNSW
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Architect - CloudVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- CCService Design AnalystNSW