Pantone Huey Monitor Calibration Tool
- Easy to use, Works a charm
- Hard to set up, need to upgrade drivers to use
The Huey monitor calibration tool is easy to use, though its controls are basic
Price$ 200.00 (AUD)
If you've ever fought to get the photos you print at home to look like the images you've been adjusting on screen, an incorrectly calibrated monitor was likely at the heart of your problem. Enter the Pantone Huey, an inexpensive monitor calibration tool that works well so long as it plays nicely with your graphics board.
Setup is simple through the basic software, which offers few adjustable settings. You change color temperature and contrast by selecting one of nine presets, several of which are optimised for specific situations such as photo viewing and gaming. Just stick the Huey sensor on your screen, and help the software along with an occasional mouse click as it flashes a series of color and gray patches on screen for the sensor to read.
The Huey conveniently provides periodic recalibration -- from every 10 seconds to every 4 hours -- based on the room's changing lighting conditions. You place the sensor in its stand, facing you. As nighttime falls or as your overhead lights turn on, the software adjusts the monitor's color temperature and luminosity. When we covered up the sensor, the software dimmed our monitor; when we shone a light directly at it, the screen brightened.
Getting the Huey to function may require that you update your graphics board's drivers. We tried the shipping product on three PCs running Windows XP. The software worked as expected on the desktops with ATI Radeon X600 and nVidia GeForce2 MX boards installed, but the product was unable to calibrate an LCD hooked up to an ATI Radeon X300 card until I updated the X300's drivers from ATI's tech support site.
If basic monitor calibration is all you need, you'll likely find the Huey's color presets and minimal features adequate and easy to use.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unveils Bixby voice assistant for upcoming Galaxy S8
- Pwn2Own hacking contest ends with two virtual machine escapes
- It's time to turn on HTTPS: the benefits are well worth the effort
- HBO brought its best shows to life at SXSW with an awesome escape room
- Windows Vista has just 30 days to live
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - ReinsuranceNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTFinancial ERP Customer - Solution Consultant / System AccountantNSW
- FTChief Architect - Public SectorACT
- CCTechnical Business Analyst (Security) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCSenior System AdministratorVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTMicrosoft Designer / ArchitectVIC
- CCTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- CCTest Manager OfficeACT
- CCProduct Design AnalystNSW
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTSnr Security Architect - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTPMO Project Analytics and Tools ManagerNSW
- TPNode JS DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Migration - TelcoVIC
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst Digitalisation projectsQLD
- CCJava/ Guidewire DeveloperQLD
- CCSolution ManagerSA
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- CCService Desk ConsultantACT