PC Tools Spyware Doctor 3.1
Spyware Doctor equals the competition and then offers some compelling extra features. It's compatible with Windows 95 through to XP.
Price$ 41.43 (AUD)
Many Internet users understand just how annoying and increasingly prolific spyware can be. Even if you use the Firefox browser and antivirus software, programs such as Ad-aware SE Personal Edition, Spybot Search & Destroy or even Microsoft's new AntiSpyware Beta are still required to maintain a clean system. So if such software does a respectable job, at no cost, the question is: does Spyware Doctor offer enough to justify its small fee?
Spyware Doctor (SD) is an adware and spyware removal tool more akin to a Swiss Army Knife. Yes it weeds out the likes of tracking cookies, browser hijackers, toolbar installers, key loggers and trojans as you'd expect, but it also features real-time "OnGuard" protection. This incorporates a pop-up blocker, cookie and browser monitor, ActiveX Immunizer, Site Guard (a list of known fake commerce sites) and a scheduler (great for automatic scans and live definition updates).
Tests on several PCs consistently had SD returning more results than Spybot - with quicker scan times. You receive some of the best descriptions we've seen: what is found, who it's from and what it likely does to your system (ideal in deciding whether or not to delete an apparently malicious object). Navigating your way around SD couldn't be more straightforward and everything always worked as expected - although we did notice a small window size/location bug on one particular test PC with dual displays.
If you're serious about protection then yes, Spyware Doctor's speed, ease of use and extra-features are worth the nominal outlay - although we'll still be keeping the free version of Ad-aware just to keep SD on its toes.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unveils Bixby voice assistant for upcoming Galaxy S8
- Pwn2Own hacking contest ends with two virtual machine escapes
- It's time to turn on HTTPS: the benefits are well worth the effort
- HBO brought its best shows to life at SXSW with an awesome escape room
- Windows Vista has just 30 days to live
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- FTBusiness Solution Architect, Supply ChainNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- CCSolution Architect - Application Developement and IntegrationQLD
- CCDomino SpecialistVIC
- TPSolution Architect - Real-Time Tracking SystemVIC
- CCDevOps Engineer - TelcoVIC
- FTWorkforce AnalystNSW
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTDatabase DeveloperSA
- CCSystem TesterQLD
- TPNetwork AdministratorWA
- FTGIS Software DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- FTSecurity Support AnalystNSW
- FTMS Dynamics DevelopersNSW
- CCProcess Assurance LeadNSW
- CCSenior Test Analyst-InfrastructureNSW
- FTApplication Support Analyst - SMSF solutions - www.class.com.auNSW
- FTICT Project ManagerNSW
- FTProject SchedulerACT
- FTProject ManagerACT
- FTBusiness Analyst (BI / Analytics)NSW