PC Tools Spyware Doctor 3.1
Spyware Doctor equals the competition and then offers some compelling extra features. It's compatible with Windows 95 through to XP.
Price$ 41.43 (AUD)
Many Internet users understand just how annoying and increasingly prolific spyware can be. Even if you use the Firefox browser and antivirus software, programs such as Ad-aware SE Personal Edition, Spybot Search & Destroy or even Microsoft's new AntiSpyware Beta are still required to maintain a clean system. So if such software does a respectable job, at no cost, the question is: does Spyware Doctor offer enough to justify its small fee?
Spyware Doctor (SD) is an adware and spyware removal tool more akin to a Swiss Army Knife. Yes it weeds out the likes of tracking cookies, browser hijackers, toolbar installers, key loggers and trojans as you'd expect, but it also features real-time "OnGuard" protection. This incorporates a pop-up blocker, cookie and browser monitor, ActiveX Immunizer, Site Guard (a list of known fake commerce sites) and a scheduler (great for automatic scans and live definition updates).
Tests on several PCs consistently had SD returning more results than Spybot - with quicker scan times. You receive some of the best descriptions we've seen: what is found, who it's from and what it likely does to your system (ideal in deciding whether or not to delete an apparently malicious object). Navigating your way around SD couldn't be more straightforward and everything always worked as expected - although we did notice a small window size/location bug on one particular test PC with dual displays.
If you're serious about protection then yes, Spyware Doctor's speed, ease of use and extra-features are worth the nominal outlay - although we'll still be keeping the free version of Ad-aware just to keep SD on its toes.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft to retire original Windows 10 on March 26
- Snapchat just got way easier to use thanks to a new search bar
- Microsoft is retiring the Blue Screen of Death for some users
- Rowland says govt supressing unflattering NBN information
- Google's Trusted Contacts pings your loved ones when you need them most
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- FTLead Software Engineer - JavaQLD
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- FTSoftware Support SpecialistQLD
- CCJunior Project ManagerQLD
- FTERP Support ConsultantQLD
- TPProject Manager - EnterpriseACT
- CCBusiness Intelligence (BI) Technical Team LeaderACT
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- TPDigital Business AnalystNSW
- CCIntegration Systems SpecialistQLD
- FTTechnology Testing Co-ordinatorVIC
- FTInfrastructure Solution ArchitectSA
- CCCapacity and Performance Analyst - Mainframe - Z SystemsVIC
- FTApplication Developer - FileNetQLD
- TPSALESFORCE DEVELOPERQLD
- CCProject Manager - TelcoVIC
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTLife/400 Developers / Programmers - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTTechnical Account ManagerACT
- FTCheckpoint Firewall and VPNNSW
- CCeLearning Support Officer - Moodle/Google appsACT
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkQLD