PC Tools Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus 2010
PC Tools Spyware Doctor is available with anti-virus capability in this updated security package.
- Comprehensive range of anti-malware tools, can install in Safe Mode
- AV credentials unknown at present
This is a worthwhile upgrade to the previous version of Spyware Doctor, with more options and even better capabilities. The new features of Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus 2010, while not earth-shaking, are welcome. Its AV credentials are unknown at present, but it’s still probably one of the better anti-spyware products on the market right now.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus 2010 (SDAV) blends PC Tools' previous well-known anti-spyware tool PC Tools Spyware Doctor with the anti-virus capabilities of a PC Tools AntiVirus engine.
Most of the improvements to the new release of Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus 2010 are fairly subtle. For example, it is now designed to monitor PC usage and adjusts its processor overhead accordingly. It's also said to offer better protection against web-borne attacks, such as silent drive-by downloads.
The main new addition to Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus 2010 in this release is the inclusion of a new anti-virus engine, along with an updated version of the well-regarded ThreatFire Behavioural Intelligence, which offers better protection against zero-day threats compared to traditional signature methods.
ThreatFire is available separately as a free download.
Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus 2010 retails for $59.95 per year and this buys you a three-PC licence. For another $20, you could buy PC Tools Internet Security 2010, a security suite that adds a firewall, spam filter, phishing protection and a site-rating browser toolbar.
Installation of Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus 2010 is quick, despite a substantial update download, and then the program immediately runs IntelliScan to look for malware. This took less than five minutes on our humbly-spec'd PC, though full scans may take a lot longer.
Incidentally, our PC already had Microsoft's built-in Windows Defender installed and running but this didn't cause any major issues. Unusually, you can install Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus 2010 in Safe Mode, which could be handy if a malware infection prevents normal booting.
After scanning completes, Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus 2010 lists detected malware including the risk level for each item. Full details are available online, just a click away; ditto if you just want it cleaned up.
PC Tools software has always been easy to use and the Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus 2010 interface offers the newbie a very shallow learning curve, with only four buttons to click.
The heart of PC Tools Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus 2010 is IntelliGuard, which comprises a group of self-explanatory 'guards' protecting aspects of PC usage, such as Behavior, Browser, Cookie, Email, File, Immuniser, Network, Process, Site, and Startup.
‘Behavior Guard', aka ThreatFire, looks out for suspicious executable behaviour and stops it dead. The Email and File guards, as you might expect, check files and emails for the presence of malware. The Site Guard blocks access to websites known to host malware, while the new Browser Guard analyses web pages and scripts in real time to block dodgy websites.
While PC Tools' anti-virus capabilities haven't fared too well in some tests - the previous 6.1 version failed this year's VB100 test in August 2009 - Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus 2010 remains on balance a comprehensive range of anti-malware tools.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Apple slates March 21 event, with 4-in. iPhone likely on the stage
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- ASUS launches world’s first liquid-cooled gaming laptop
- Tablets replace books for kids back at school
- Dell agrees to acquire EMC for US$67 billion
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMware - CanberraACT
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Data MigrationVIC
- CCDB2 Database AdministratorACT
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCMessaging Services Systems AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- CCInfrastructure Designer - AWSNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCBI-Business Intelligence Technical LeadNSW
- CCData Analyst - multiples roles - EAM experience requiredNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/MySQL) 160823/AP/172Asia
- FTProject Administrator (Agile)WA
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMwareACT
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- CCSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst- BABOK,Infrastructure, Banking bkgndNSW
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW