Email 'n Walk iPhone app
Write e-mails on your iPhone while seeing where you are walking
- Commendable execution, easy to use
- iPhone camera has limitations, no Enter button on keyboard, cannot read e-mails or send SMS messages
Email 'n Walk lets you write e-mails while seeing where you are going by employing the iPhone's camera. We wouldn't recommend its use while driving, though.
Price$ 1.19 (AUD)
Phase2 Media's Email 'n Walk uses the iPhone's camera to let you to see where you're walking while writing e-mails, hopefully stopping you from falling over any obstacles in your path.
Email 'n Walk might seem like a preposterous idea. But given that an English charity last year attempted to wrap lampposts in foam to protect pedestrians from collisions while writing SMS messages, perhaps this iPhone app isn't such a bad idea.
The app is generally well designed. It overlays a customised e-mail interface on top of a live view from the camera. The soft keyboard is the usual opaque input box, but the e-mail interface itself is transparent. This lets you to see through the text to what the camera picks up.
If you tend to hold your iPhone parallel to the ground, then you're likely to see little more than your own feet while typing. However, even holding the iPhone at a slight angle can ensure a good view of what is directly in front of you.
The quality of the iPhone's camera affects the app. The lens speed is a little slow, resulting in some motion blur. It isn't too excessive and won't make you sick, however. Things are likely to look significantly darker on the screen than in real life.
Email 'n Walk provides a text box for the subject and one of the body. The Enter button on the standard soft keyboard has been replaced by a Send button, which means e-mails written using Email 'n Walk cannot be broken into paragraphs until the e-mail is sent to the proper Mail app.
Once you have written up the e-mail, pressing send transfers the text into the standard iPhone mail app. This means you will have to choose the e-mail's recipient without the benefit of seeing where you are going.
Email 'n Walk is a commendable app, but it could be better. The ability to send SMS messages and read others' e-mails in the same fashion would definitely be worthwhile additions.
Nevertheless, as it stands Email 'n Walk is a decent iPhone app that provides innovative functionality for a reasonable price.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Michelle Rowland to lead broadband fight for Labor
- Chinese $1.2B deal for Opera crumples
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1060 is a budget GTX 980 killer
- NBN raids: Conroy calls for end to ‘ludicrous’ AFP investigation
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCHigh Severity Incident ManagerVIC
- FTPHP Developer (full stack)WA
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- FTSolution Architect - Digital (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- CCSenior Business Process Analyst, FinanceNSW
- CCIP & Fixed LeadVIC
- CCIncident ManagerSA
- CCCommunication LeadVIC
- CCAgile Delivery ManagerACT
- CCTest ManagerVIC
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerWA
- CCProject Manager/ Sr PMO Analyst - Consulting BackgroundNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - End-User ComputingNSW
- CCFMW DevelopersACT
- CCSenior PHP Developer (12 month contract )VIC
- FTSAP PI ABAP SpecialistVIC
- CCService Design AnalystNSW
- FTPortfolio Governance AnalystVIC
- FTSAP Basis ConsultantVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst/ Scrum MasterNSW
- CCPerformance Test Lead- Load runner, SAP , Citrix ,HPQC ,QTPNSW
- FTService Desk Team LeadNSW
- CCLead DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Data ArchitectNSW