- the crystal, the chrome
- • • •
sadly, mine last for only 3 months. i did not drop it, probably it's because of the heavy crystals that pulled off the cords.
however the design is really pretty, as amazing as what you see on your screen.
Philips Active Crystals SWS2000
Sparkling ear buds
- Design, decent sound quality, comfortable fit
- Expensive, bass response could be improved
A decent pair of earphones, but they are a tad expensive.
Price$ 145.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 1 store)
- Makro Philips Head Phone - SHP2000 for Coin Fin... 48.26
The result of a partnership between Philips and Swarovski, the Active Crystals SWS2000 earphones feature cut silver-shade crystals embedded into the design. Although they are targeted at fashionistas, they perform well in terms of sound quality.
Like most fashion-orientated products, the earphones look excellent. They feature silver cabling, chrome highlights and, of course, crystal ear buds. The ear buds' design makes them heavier than a regular pair, but they are comfortable regardless. Most would consider the crystals little more than a gimmick, but if you want to look good while listening to your tunes, there aren't too many better options on the market. Apart from the crystals, the rest of the body is made of chrome-plated stainless steel; a gold-plated plug completes the design.
Perhaps the most surprising feature is the fact that the marketing towards fashion buyers hasn't impacted on the quality. For starters, the ear buds are very comfortable, especially for long periods of use. Philips includes three different sized rubber ear buds for optimal fit and comfort, so you shouldn't have an issue comfort-wise.
Sound quality isn't going to appeal to audiophiles, but for those looking to upgrade their standard headphones the SWS2000 will do a relatively decent job. We were impressed by the clarity and crispness of sound at low to medium volume levels, though we were disappointed that distortion is evident at higher volume levels. Bass response is also lacking; it fails to provide the punch we were expecting. Instrumental separation is surprisingly solid, with complex riffs distinctly audible.
The downside is price, although this is to be expected considering the crystal design. These earphones aren't cheap, and keep in mind that you can purchase cheaper alternatives with sound quality on par or better.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
- 2 Medion Akoya E4110 (MD 8239) desktop PC
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
- 4 Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series convertible laptop
- 5 Kogan Agora 4G review
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Amazon's file sharing service Zocalo now generally available
- FBI, Secret Service studying 'scope' of reported bank cyberattacks
- Retailers urged to defend against 'Backoff' point-of-sale malware
- HTC Desire 610 smartphone
- Round LG G Watch R has Plastic-OLED display, heart monitor and is waterproof
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCL2 Technical Support Engineer - RightFax/MessagingVIC
- FTAccount Manager Programmatic Trading DeskNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Executive - B2BNSW
- FTInformation Services ManagerNZ
- FTMachine Learning | JAVA | San Fran based global Company | SydneyNSW
- FTSearch Account ManagerNSW
- FTChief Information OfficerNSW