Philips DC350 iPod dock
The Philips DC350 iPod dock includes an FM radio and an alarm clock
- Easy to use and easy on the eye, charges devices while docked
- Expensive, poor sound quality
All the elements of an awesome iPod dock are here, but we weren't impressed by the Philips DC350's sound quality -- especially considering its price.
Price$ 299.99 (AUD)
Philips' DC350 isn't a high powered gun that robot cage fighters use — it's a Bluetooth-enabled iPod dock. It has an alarm clock and a radio (sadly only FM, not digital), and it can function as a loudspeaker for the iPhone. You can use it to synchronise the calendar and contacts on your iPod or iPhone as well.
We weren't impressed by the Philips DC350's performance as a speakerphone. The volume even at its highest setting is quite low and this results in phone conversations that are hard to hear. You’re better off picking up your iPhone and holding it to your ear, the old-fashioned way.
The Philips DC 350 is compatible with a range of iPods, including the Nano and Touch, as well as the iPhone. It also has a standard 3.5mm audio jack that allows you to plug in any MP3 player.
Although sound is clear it lacks punch and is often tinny, and switching on the bass boost function results in muffled audio. As an ornament for your bedside table or workstation, the DC350 will do the job — just don’t expect your sleeping quarters or cubicle to become some iPhone-fuelled trendy hangout where young people talk about Zac Efron and Facebook while eating Angus burgers.
A remote control comes bundled with the Philips DC350, and it works reasonably well. However, it's difficult to see the dock's small screen if you're situated more than a metre or two away from the device.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen.) android smartphone
- 5 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Pew survey shows women bear brunt of online harassment
- EMC buys controlling interest in VCE, its joint venture with Cisco
- Amazon takes aim at Microsoft's Active Directory with new service
- Android ransomware 'Koler' turns into a worm, spreads via SMS
- Bite into your music with jaw-controlled iPhone player
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Sales ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTSales Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW