- Outstanding bass levels, funky design, crisp and clear tones, ease of setup
- No treble adjustment, mid-tones could be improved
A highly recommended set of desktop speakers with outstanding bass levels, the MMS430 is simply great value for money.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
The Philips MMS430 2.1 desktop PC speakers pack a serious amount of punch and include a fantastic subwoofer capable of thumping bass levels.
The first thing we noticed when unpacking the MMS430, was the rather large and impressive wooden subwoofer. This uniquely designed 30W sub suggested the unit is capable of serious bass levels and to our delight that is exactly what it delivers. Even with the control levels at a minimum, the MMS430 subwoofer provides deep, quality bass and would particularly suit those with an appetite for PC gaming.
The MMS430 also includes two 10W satellite speakers and we were very impressed with their overall sound quality. The sound levels remained quite crisp and clear even with the unit almost at full volume and at no stage of testing did we encounter any crackling or distortion from the satellites. The one weakness we did detect is that the mid-tones tend to be a little weak.
Another aspect of the MMS430 that pleased us was the ease of set up. The rear of the subwoofer houses inputs for all wires, including line-in from your PC or sound source, satellite out, power in and controls in. All of these are clearly labeled to avoid confusion. Also included on the right satellite speaker is a bright blue LED light which glows when the unit is switched on. We would have to like to have seen a more advanced control set, with Philips only offering volume and bass adjustment - treble adjustment is conspicuous by its absence.
Depending on whether you are using the speakers for gaming, music or connecting them to a television or CD player, it is well worth adjusting the bass levels in order to deliver the best quality sound levels. Some tracks or features require less bass, while others would benefit from the deep, throbbing bass that this unit is capable of delivering.
Overall the MMS430 are an outstanding set of speakers that provide quality bass levels and great sound as well.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Google Nexus 6P review: An outstanding multimedia machine
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Turn a barebones PC into a graphics powerhouse with AMD's new FirePro server GPUs
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Intel's Skylake vPro chips will support Windows 7 after all
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
- The first PC hardware based on Intel's itty-bitty new mini-STX motherboards appear
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCIT Solution Designer (SOA / Web-services)NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-bAsia
- CCWintel Support EngineerNSW
- FTApplication Packaging & Deployments Team LeaderNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst / Scrum MasterNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCImmediate iOS Developer RequiredNSW
- CCOracle Business AnalystSA
- CCJava Developer - Front/ Back EndVIC
- CCTechnical Tester - AutomationVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/Visual VB.net) 160115/AP/vhsAsia
- FTHelpdesk support - Level 1VIC
- CCMid to Senior Level User Experience SpecialistsNSW
- CCAD and FIM EngineerNSW
- CCDesktop Support L1, 2 & 3NSW
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness and Financial AnalystACT
- CCProject Manager - Customer Engagement / NPSVIC
- FTC# .Net DeveloperSA
- FTBusiness Analyst AGILENSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectNSW
- CCCommercial Manager - Strategy / Big Data - Telecommunications -NSW
- FTJunior Developer | C#, MVC & SQL | Class FinanceNSW