- Outstanding bass levels, funky design, crisp and clear tones, ease of setup
- No treble adjustment, mid-tones could be improved
A highly recommended set of desktop speakers with outstanding bass levels, the MMS430 is simply great value for money.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
The Philips MMS430 2.1 desktop PC speakers pack a serious amount of punch and include a fantastic subwoofer capable of thumping bass levels.
The first thing we noticed when unpacking the MMS430, was the rather large and impressive wooden subwoofer. This uniquely designed 30W sub suggested the unit is capable of serious bass levels and to our delight that is exactly what it delivers. Even with the control levels at a minimum, the MMS430 subwoofer provides deep, quality bass and would particularly suit those with an appetite for PC gaming.
The MMS430 also includes two 10W satellite speakers and we were very impressed with their overall sound quality. The sound levels remained quite crisp and clear even with the unit almost at full volume and at no stage of testing did we encounter any crackling or distortion from the satellites. The one weakness we did detect is that the mid-tones tend to be a little weak.
Another aspect of the MMS430 that pleased us was the ease of set up. The rear of the subwoofer houses inputs for all wires, including line-in from your PC or sound source, satellite out, power in and controls in. All of these are clearly labeled to avoid confusion. Also included on the right satellite speaker is a bright blue LED light which glows when the unit is switched on. We would have to like to have seen a more advanced control set, with Philips only offering volume and bass adjustment - treble adjustment is conspicuous by its absence.
Depending on whether you are using the speakers for gaming, music or connecting them to a television or CD player, it is well worth adjusting the bass levels in order to deliver the best quality sound levels. Some tracks or features require less bass, while others would benefit from the deep, throbbing bass that this unit is capable of delivering.
Overall the MMS430 are an outstanding set of speakers that provide quality bass levels and great sound as well.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- MIT researchers set out to create self-assembling chips
- Micron to ship Intel Optane competitor later this year
- Intel Optane Memory has a mission: Make hard drives faster than SSDs
- AMD busts Ryzen performance myths, clearing Windows 10 from blame
- Nvidia supercharges GeForce DirectX 12 performance with new Game Ready driver
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- CCOrganisational Change LeadNSW
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- CCService Desk ConsultantACT
- TPSenior Software DeveloperQLD
- FTProject Manager, FinanceNSW
- FTSQL Server DBA- 2016 RDBMS, SSIS, SRS, Certified DBANSW
- FTBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTNetwork Engineer - Cisco VoiceWA
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistSA
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPSystems ManagerQLD
- FTWeb Support LeadQLD
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTApplication Team Lead - ERP & Microsoft TechnologiesNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst AgileQLD
- CCDigital Business ArchitectACT
- CCLead SAP SRM DeveloperACT
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Java DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- FTAgile Test AnalystQLD
- FTApplication Security SpecialistVIC