- Outstanding bass levels, funky design, crisp and clear tones, ease of setup
- No treble adjustment, mid-tones could be improved
A highly recommended set of desktop speakers with outstanding bass levels, the MMS430 is simply great value for money.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
The Philips MMS430 2.1 desktop PC speakers pack a serious amount of punch and include a fantastic subwoofer capable of thumping bass levels.
The first thing we noticed when unpacking the MMS430, was the rather large and impressive wooden subwoofer. This uniquely designed 30W sub suggested the unit is capable of serious bass levels and to our delight that is exactly what it delivers. Even with the control levels at a minimum, the MMS430 subwoofer provides deep, quality bass and would particularly suit those with an appetite for PC gaming.
The MMS430 also includes two 10W satellite speakers and we were very impressed with their overall sound quality. The sound levels remained quite crisp and clear even with the unit almost at full volume and at no stage of testing did we encounter any crackling or distortion from the satellites. The one weakness we did detect is that the mid-tones tend to be a little weak.
Another aspect of the MMS430 that pleased us was the ease of set up. The rear of the subwoofer houses inputs for all wires, including line-in from your PC or sound source, satellite out, power in and controls in. All of these are clearly labeled to avoid confusion. Also included on the right satellite speaker is a bright blue LED light which glows when the unit is switched on. We would have to like to have seen a more advanced control set, with Philips only offering volume and bass adjustment - treble adjustment is conspicuous by its absence.
Depending on whether you are using the speakers for gaming, music or connecting them to a television or CD player, it is well worth adjusting the bass levels in order to deliver the best quality sound levels. Some tracks or features require less bass, while others would benefit from the deep, throbbing bass that this unit is capable of delivering.
Overall the MMS430 are an outstanding set of speakers that provide quality bass levels and great sound as well.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- AMD's Radeon Pro WX GPUs can create VR content for under $1,000
- Nvidia's latest Quadro GPU delivers a blistering 12 teraflops of performance
- Gaming desktops with AMD Zen chips will be hard to come by this year
- Surprise! Nvidia reveals a new Pascal-powered Titan X and it looks like an utter monster
- Seagate's 10TB Barracuda Pro is the world's largest consumer hard drive
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCFrontend DevelopersQLD
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160802/ITA/991Asia
- CCSOA -Solution Architect -baselineACT
- CCSAP BODS ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Systems SpecialistNSW
- CCReport Business Analyst- BI, Oracle, SAP, TableauNSW
- CCTest CoordinatorQLD
- CCChange CoordinatorNSW
- CCProject Coordinator/ Jr Business Analyst- Govt backgroundNSW
- CCPortfolio ManagerVIC
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperNSW
- CCNetwork DesignerNSW
- FTCloud EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Contracts Officer/Procurement -Governmen BckgrndNSW
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (ERP)NSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTDesktop EngineerNSW
- FTService Desk ManagerNSW
- FTSAP ESB Service Management SpecialistVIC
- FTInfrastructure Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCDrupal DeveloperWA
- FTSAP Basis ConsultantVIC