- Outstanding bass levels, funky design, crisp and clear tones, ease of setup
- No treble adjustment, mid-tones could be improved
A highly recommended set of desktop speakers with outstanding bass levels, the MMS430 is simply great value for money.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
The Philips MMS430 2.1 desktop PC speakers pack a serious amount of punch and include a fantastic subwoofer capable of thumping bass levels.
The first thing we noticed when unpacking the MMS430, was the rather large and impressive wooden subwoofer. This uniquely designed 30W sub suggested the unit is capable of serious bass levels and to our delight that is exactly what it delivers. Even with the control levels at a minimum, the MMS430 subwoofer provides deep, quality bass and would particularly suit those with an appetite for PC gaming.
The MMS430 also includes two 10W satellite speakers and we were very impressed with their overall sound quality. The sound levels remained quite crisp and clear even with the unit almost at full volume and at no stage of testing did we encounter any crackling or distortion from the satellites. The one weakness we did detect is that the mid-tones tend to be a little weak.
Another aspect of the MMS430 that pleased us was the ease of set up. The rear of the subwoofer houses inputs for all wires, including line-in from your PC or sound source, satellite out, power in and controls in. All of these are clearly labeled to avoid confusion. Also included on the right satellite speaker is a bright blue LED light which glows when the unit is switched on. We would have to like to have seen a more advanced control set, with Philips only offering volume and bass adjustment - treble adjustment is conspicuous by its absence.
Depending on whether you are using the speakers for gaming, music or connecting them to a television or CD player, it is well worth adjusting the bass levels in order to deliver the best quality sound levels. Some tracks or features require less bass, while others would benefit from the deep, throbbing bass that this unit is capable of delivering.
Overall the MMS430 are an outstanding set of speakers that provide quality bass levels and great sound as well.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro hybrid Ultrabook
- 3 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 4 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 5 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Weather.com fixes web application vulnerabilities
- Early version of new POS malware family spotted
- Syrian Electronic Army posts hacking message on several news sites
- Fastest LTE speed will be out of reach for most users
- EU net neutrality discussions to continue into the next year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW