PhotoFast iFlash Evo Plus: an on-the-go cross-platform flash drive for Apple and Android devices
A triple-interface flash drive that can be used on iPhones and Androids
- Triple threat (USB, micro-USB, Lightning
- Can be used on iOS and Android devices as an on-the-go drive
- Micro-USB connector can be fiddly to use
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
If you’ve ever wanted a flash drive that can be used on both Android and iOS devices, the PhotoFast iFlash Evo Plus is for you. It’s a 16-128GB stick (we’re looking at the 16GB here) that contains not only full-sized USB 3.0, but also micro-USB and Lightning connections.
The whole point of this drive is that you can use it to access external files on any device, while you’re on the go. Step one is to transfer some music and video files from your computer to the PhotoFast iFlash Evo Plus using USB; step two varies. If you’re on Android, just plug the drive into your device’s micro-USB port and use your existing apps to browse and play content off the drive. If you’re on iOS, install the i-FlashDrive app, plug in the drive, and then you’ll see your files.
It’s a nifty device that has a design we’ve not seen before. The micro-USB plug resides inside the bigger, regular USB plug, and you have to use your nails to push it out and extend it prior to plugging it in to an Android device. On the other end is a Lightning connector. Both ends have plastic covers for when they are not in use.
We found the process of extending the micro-USB plug a little fiddly, and when the drive was plugged in to our phones, we noticed some side-to-side movement that was a little unnerving. But it all worked well enough for us to like the product. We just had to remember to push the micro connector back in when we wanted to plug the drive into a computer.
Video files of MP4, MKV, and AVI formats played back without any issues on an iPhone through the i-FlashDrive app, and we could also play MP3s through this app. When we wanted to play FLAC files on the iPhone, we had to install VLC. The i-FlashDrive app then allowed us to pick VLC as the chosen player for the FLAC files.
On Android, we didn’t even have to install the i-FlashDrive app. Our phone launched our file explorer, and then we could play any file using the pre-installed apps we usually associate with those files. It was all straightforward stuff. There was no need to copy files across; everything just played directly off the flash drive.Read more: 5 ways to extend your smartphone's battery life
You can use the i-FlashDrive app to save and restore contacts from Android and iOS, and we love that the iOS app also allows you to backup your photos very easily. On Android, you can just manually copy files from your device to the drive using your file explorer of choice.Read more: Imation Link Power Drive for iPhone
If you’re desperate, you can also use the Evo Plus as a ‘jumper cable’ to charge an iPhone from an Android phone. It looks awkward, and that’s because it is.
It can usually be found on Catch of the Day for $99.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Google Earth VR lets you explore our beautiful planet on the HTC Vive
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSAP ISU Device Management ConsultantNSW
- TPOracle Consultant - CC&BQLD
- CCBPM DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- FTSupport Analyst / Production Support - InformaticaNSW
- CCIT Infrastructure ArchitectNSW
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCTest LeadQLD
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - ITMSP - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTSecurity Solutions Architect - Consultancy - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- CCSenior Mobile Application DeveloperNSW
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- TPIT Project Officer - TMRQLD
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD
- FTLevel 3 Support AnalystVIC
- TPEnvironment Specialist(DevOps)QLD
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW