Pinnacle Studio Plus 9
An intuitive editing package for the consumer, made better with the addition of several key features.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
Anyone familiar with Pinnacle Studio 9 will know that it's one of the most accessible consumer video editors available, but has notably lacked key features found in competing products. These limitations have now (largely) been addressed with the release of Studio Plus 9, a beefed-up and more capable version of its predecessor.
The main improvement is the addition of a second video track. Previously, you could only place still images like titles or logos over your main video. Studio Plus 9 now lets you embed/overlay a second video sequence within the first, and has a new picture-in-picture (PiP) tool that lets you tweak the size, position, transparency and border of this effect to suit.
Alongside this tool, and bringing Studio Plus 9 in line with competing products from Sony, Adobe and Roxio, is the new chroma key feature, which lets you create composite images by removing a specific background colour (typically a blue or green screen) - though you shouldn't expect too much from this tool. Finally, Pinnacle has brought more advanced still image handling to Studio Plus 9, including zoom and pan tools (much like Ulead's VideoStudio 8), in conjunction with rotation and red-eye removal. These effects are "keyframeable", but Pinnacle has added a twist by allowing you to quickly copy the end points of the preceding clip and apply them to the next, which makes building pan/zoom sequences with stills a lot simpler.
It's still a little expensive compared to the rest of the consumer products on the market, but retains the ease-of-use and feature set that made its predecessor so popular.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- Buggy Windows 7 cumulative update? Just tell us, says Microsoft
- Microsoft fleshes out seismic change to Windows patching
- Successful launch for second NBN satellite
- Where's the bottom for Microsoft's Internet Explorer?
- ICANN transition moves forward, despite last-minute attempt to block it
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCDatacenter EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Test Analyst (Brisbane Based)QLD
- CCDigital Solutions ManagerNSW
- CCSiebel DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer Payments GatewayVIC
- CCLevel 3 Microsoft Resource EngineerVIC
- FTIT Operations Manager / IT Business ManagerVIC
- FTDesktop Support EngineerWA
- CCService Desk ConsultantNSW
- CCGraduate Web DeveloperWA
- CCQuality Assurance LeadNSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW
- FTPeopleSoft Business Analyst x 2QLD
- CCSenior Solutions Architect- Agile,Infr & Apps, Govt backgroundNSW
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- CCProject SchedulerVIC
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerSA
- FTData Governance Project Manager | 6 month ContractNSW
- CCBPM ConsultantNSW
- FTSolution Architect - Application/IntegrationVIC
- TPProject Manager - ApplicationsQLD
- CCServiceNow ConsultantNSW
- FT.NET DEVELOPER | MID LEVEL | MEDIA INDUSTRYNSW
- CCJava Developers - Federal Government experienceNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystQLD