Pioneer BDP-340 3D Blu-ray player (preview)
A feature-packed Pioneer Blu-ray disc player that can play 3D movies and be controlled with an iPhone
- 3D Blu-ray playback, iPhone control via Pioneer's iControlAV app
- More expensive than competing models from Sony, LG and Panasonic
Pioneer's BDP-340 3D Blu-ray player offers enviable ability to be controlled via your iPhone and a Pioneer app. It's a bit expensive when directly compared to similarly specced units from Panasonic, Sony and LG but if you're hooking up a high-end home cinema the small price difference shouldn't be a concern.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The Pioneer BDP-340 isn't the company's most expensive Blu-ray disc player — that honour goes to the $4999 BDP-LX91 — but it's still chock-full of high-end circuitry and wizardry. As well as playing back 3D Blu-ray movies, the Pioneer BDP-430 can be controlled with an iPhone using Pioneer's iControlAV app.
The iControlAV app gives Pioneer a definite advantage over competitive products from Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and LG. If you've got an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch you can download the app and use it whenever the remote control goes missing.
There's a lot to control, as well. The Pioneer BDP-430 should be able to handle any Blu-ray disc you throw at it, including any 3D content. There's an Ethernet port for DLNA and Internet connection, as well as an optional Wi-Fi adapter, and USB connectivity for playback of video, photo and audio files.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
- How to customize the Apple TV (fourth-generation) home screen
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCData ArchitectSA
- CCIntegration ArchitectACT
- CCSenior IT Automated TesterNSW
- FTFront End .Net Developer (.Net / Angular / Bootstrap)NSW
- CCWeb/Mobile Developer (Android)WA
- CCTechnical OfficerACT
- CCWAN Contract ManagerACT
- CCBusiness Impact AssessmentsVIC
- CCProject Master SchedulerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/ SQL/Web) 160708/AP/352Asia
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/ SQL*PLUS/PL/SQL/PRO*C) 160617/AP/983Asia
- FTBusiness Analyst/Data Analyst Capability ManagerVIC
- CCProgrammer (IT Security/Website Administration) 160711/P/565Asia
- CCSenior Performance & Automation EngineerNSW
- CCTechnical Content ProducerVIC
- CCContract Junior Programmer (HTML/JAVA/MySQL) 160613/JP/921Asia
- FTIT Project ManagerAsia
- CCWindows 2003-2012 R2 Active Directory Consultant/ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160621/P/866Asia
- CCLead UX DesignerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst- Process Mapping Specialist- Gov / Bank backgdNSW
- CCMobility Developer (iOS or Android)NSW
- CCEngineering Lead - InfrastructureVIC
- CCProject Manager | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT