Pioneer BDP-LX54 3D Blu-ray player (preview)
This 3D Blu-ray player can be controlled by an iPhone, and has a scratchproof design
- Looks awesome, full suite of 3D playback gizmos, it's armoured!
- It's $100 more expensive than the BDP-430 - for what?
The Pioneer BDP-LX54 is part of Pioneer's luxury range, and it looks the part. It's pricier than the BDP-430, but if styling and flashy lights are your thing the BDP-LX54 is a definite pleaser.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The newly-announced Pioneer BDP-LX54 joins the Pioneer BDP-430 in Panasonic's 3D Blu-ray line-up. The company doesn't have any other 3D products — after 2009's ups and downs, it doesn't even have any plasma TVs. The BDP-LX54 is the top model, and it's almost identical to the cheaper BDP-430. So what's the extra $100 for?
To be honest, a lot of the price is probably made up with Pioneer's LX tax. The luxury line of products are styled similarly with high quality materials, so you can match your home theatre components to each other. Pioneer says the BDP-LX54 has an 'armoured chassis', so you might even be able to take it through a war zone. The rest of your Nellie Melba goes to pay for gold-plated terminals and a funky blue backlight.
Like the BDP-430, the Pioneer BDP-LX54 can be controlled via an iPhone through Pioneer's iControlAV app. This is a cool feature that iPhone junkies will love, and competitors like Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and LG are sorely lacking.
We'll get our hands on the BDP-LX54 soon and give it a full run-through.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSecurity Specialist - NV1ACT
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- TPAgile Project Manager. Lean ProductivityNSW
- CCSoftware ManagerVIC
- CCTelecommunication Business SpecialistTAS
- FTTechnical SpecialistACT
- CCTechnical Consutlant - Entry Level - HPSMACT
- CCSystems Administrator - Cloud, Azure and LinuxQLD
- CCSenior Policy OfficerNSW
- FTHealthcare Application Integration SupportQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTDesktop Support/ Field Services EngineerQLD
- FTTelecommunications Installation ManagerSA
- CCIT SAS Visual Analytics DeveloperVIC
- FTFull Stack .NET DeveloperWA
- FTTest Analyst - HCMSNSW
- TPProject Manager. Enterprise wide IT ProjectsNSW
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- CCJava Developer IntegrationQLD
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCNP/CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW
- FTSystems Development Assistant Team LeadNSW
- FTProject Manager (Office 365 / Mobility)QLD
- FTContracts ManagerNSW
- CCFull Stack Developers x4!QLD