- Fast transfer, high image quality, many features, intuitive interface
- Poor remote control design, slow channel switching
Its image quality is stellar, and its dubbing superfast. Aside from a cramped remote, there's little to complain about with this Pioneer.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
The more you archive video from this unit's 80GB hard drive to DVD-R, the happier you'll be that you bought it. With an 8X DVD recorder built-in, the Pioneer transferred movies to disc at a blistering rate during our tests.
But the Pioneer isn't only about speed. Its recording quality was outstanding, both in one-hour and six-hour modes. And it's packed with features, including a disc librarian for maintaining a history of your recordings (if you opt to enter disc information manually into the unit's memory), and an editor for trimming video and deleting commercials.
The DVR-520H-S's on-screen interface may not be the prettiest we've seen, but it is reasonably intuitive, offering a good combination of graphics and text. And I loved this model's convenient on-remote commercial skip, which lets you add 30-second increments to the skip time so that you can jump past up to 5 minutes' worth of commercials at once.
Although the Pioneer stands tall in most respects, I had a few gripes. I wasn't enthusiastic about the remote control's design, and the unit's inability to schedule daily or weekly recordings without employing VCR Plus+ codes is mystifying. In addition, as an avid channel surfer, I was unimpressed by the recorder's snail's-pace channel switching.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- 4K Chromecast Ultra details leak ahead of Google event
- Sonos comes to the Apple store, but what does that mean for Beats speakers?
- Plex Cloud lets you say goodbye to your always-on home media server
- Sony's first 4K Blu-ray player reminds you what a steal the Xbox One S truly is
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCService Desk analystSA
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- CCNetwork Design Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW