- User friendly, easily programmable, commercial skip
- No memory card slot
While not quite as heavy duty as some hard disk DVD recorders, the pioneer DVR-720H is more user friendly than most.
Price$ 1,099.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
The 160GB Pioneer DVR-720H has enough hard drive capacity to store 34 hours of TV at the best-quality recording setting, or up to 204 hours at the lowest.
Where the 720H really scores is in user friendliness. For example, hitting the play button on the remote automatically plays your last recording, be it from the hard drive or the DVD. And there's an easy-timer recorder button on the remote that lets you set a same-day timer recording in seconds using a slider (there's also a more conventional screen for setting multiple recordings up in advance, as well as G-Code support). It's the easiest solution I've come across outside of an electronic programming guide supplied directly by a broadcaster.
The DVR-720H's remote comes festooned with buttons. It looks intimidating to begin with, but having dedicated buttons for different functions helps keep things simple. Another nice touch is a dedicated fast-forward button for skipping ahead in 30-second increments, or back in 15 second blocks.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- How to customize the Apple TV (fourth-generation) home screen
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
- Denon's latest S-Series A/V receivers are built for 4K Ultra HD video and 3D audio
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCService DeskWA
- CCWebOps EngineerVIC
- CCNV1 | System admin with SQL server experience for Defence Application SupportACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - ICT SecurityNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (Guidewire Policy Center)NSW
- CCFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCAdobe Experience Manager AEM / CQ5 DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Implementation AnalystNSW
- FTManager; Enterprise ArchitectureNSW
- CCSr. Project Manager - Six SigmaVIC
- FTDigital Account Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160422/AP/544Asia
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCJava Developer (front end)WA
- FTSupplier Relationship ManagerVIC
- CCICT Project Manager - Contact Centre/Telephony FocusNSW
- FTSenior Storage Systems EngineerACT
- FTSoftware Design Engineer (Embedded Software)SA
- CCSenior ICT Project OfficerACT
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Report/HTML/SQL) 160428/P/244Asia