- Fast DL write speeds, great DVD reading
- Sluggish CD ripping, poor software
An extremely fast double layer burner. If you just want good single layer DVD performance and adequate CD capabilities, then some of the more inexpensive models in this review will do just as good a job.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
The Pioneer has some of the fastest writing speeds in the review; it is rated at 8X for DVD+RW discs and 6x for DVD-RW discs, as well as 16X for both DVD+R and DVD-R and 6X for DVD+R DL discs.
It's one of the best exponents of double layer burning that we have tested. In our tests, it filled a double layer disc with 7.9GB of data in only 19 minutes and 52 seconds. It read it back to us in 20 minutes and 13 seconds, which is roughly average compared to other drives we have tested.
Its DVD+R and DVD-R write performance was solid, and its DVD reading performance was exceptional.
It didn't fare too well with CDs in our testing, especially in our music ripping test, which recorded a very sluggish time.
At the time of writing, Pioneer planned to make available firmware updates that will allow the A09XLA to write to double layer DVD-R discs, as well as 8X DVD-RW discs.
We don't like the Ulead burn software that this drive ships with. It was limited in its functionality and did not allow us to select a burn speed for our discs manually.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Intel will provide early access to fast Optane SSDs via the cloud
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTOrchestration Engineer - DevOps - PuppetVIC
- CCCompliance Officer - ProcurementVIC
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- CCTest Environment ManagerNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCContract Programmer (IT Security/Website Admin.) 160824/P/567Asia
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Manager - Infrastructure Supply ChainNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160816/AP/vhsAsia
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- CCPersonal AssistantVIC
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project SpecialistVIC
- CCProject Coordinator (Paying $400-$450 per day)NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/Web) 160825/AP/183Asia
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows7/8/10) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- CCSAP ArchitectSA
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC
- CCMainframe Application ArchitectNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT