- Fast DL write speeds, great DVD reading
- Sluggish CD ripping, poor software
An extremely fast double layer burner. If you just want good single layer DVD performance and adequate CD capabilities, then some of the more inexpensive models in this review will do just as good a job.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
The Pioneer has some of the fastest writing speeds in the review; it is rated at 8X for DVD+RW discs and 6x for DVD-RW discs, as well as 16X for both DVD+R and DVD-R and 6X for DVD+R DL discs.
It's one of the best exponents of double layer burning that we have tested. In our tests, it filled a double layer disc with 7.9GB of data in only 19 minutes and 52 seconds. It read it back to us in 20 minutes and 13 seconds, which is roughly average compared to other drives we have tested.
Its DVD+R and DVD-R write performance was solid, and its DVD reading performance was exceptional.
It didn't fare too well with CDs in our testing, especially in our music ripping test, which recorded a very sluggish time.
At the time of writing, Pioneer planned to make available firmware updates that will allow the A09XLA to write to double layer DVD-R discs, as well as 8X DVD-RW discs.
We don't like the Ulead burn software that this drive ships with. It was limited in its functionality and did not allow us to select a burn speed for our discs manually.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Google Earth VR lets you explore our beautiful planet on the HTC Vive
- Seagate crams a massive 5TB into a portable hard drive
- Google, IBM, and others team up to hasten data transfers in computers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCBusiness Analyst - SQLNSW
- CCMainframe ArchitectVIC
- CCFunctional SAP IS Specialist (Logistics / Retail)VIC
- CCIT Specialist - Application Blueprinting Engineer ( Developer)ACT
- CCSenior Developer | Salesforce/JavaNSW
- CCSenior Digital DesignerVIC
- TPTechnical Specialist, Identity and Acess ManagementVIC
- FT.Net & Oracle Developers - Agile, Digital/ Portal DevelopmentNSW
- TPPHP Programmer - SeniorQLD
- FTEnterprise Account ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Architect, Financial MarketsNSW
- CCDevelopment Manager / Engineering Manager - Canberra RoleNSW
- CCProject Manager / Business Analyst - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCIteration Manager / Scrum MasterNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCCX Program LeadNSW
- CCCloud Automation Engineer. Work Location - CanberraNSW
- TPBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- FTJava / API DeveloperVIC
- FTEnd Point Security AdministratorACT
- CCMaster SchedulerVIC
- CCExchange EngineerNSW
- CCSQL Data and Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTFinancial AnalystNSW