- Fast DL write speeds, great DVD reading
- Sluggish CD ripping, poor software
An extremely fast double layer burner. If you just want good single layer DVD performance and adequate CD capabilities, then some of the more inexpensive models in this review will do just as good a job.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
The Pioneer has some of the fastest writing speeds in the review; it is rated at 8X for DVD+RW discs and 6x for DVD-RW discs, as well as 16X for both DVD+R and DVD-R and 6X for DVD+R DL discs.
It's one of the best exponents of double layer burning that we have tested. In our tests, it filled a double layer disc with 7.9GB of data in only 19 minutes and 52 seconds. It read it back to us in 20 minutes and 13 seconds, which is roughly average compared to other drives we have tested.
Its DVD+R and DVD-R write performance was solid, and its DVD reading performance was exceptional.
It didn't fare too well with CDs in our testing, especially in our music ripping test, which recorded a very sluggish time.
At the time of writing, Pioneer planned to make available firmware updates that will allow the A09XLA to write to double layer DVD-R discs, as well as 8X DVD-RW discs.
We don't like the Ulead burn software that this drive ships with. It was limited in its functionality and did not allow us to select a burn speed for our discs manually.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCPortfolio AnalystVIC
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerWA
- CCOracle SOA DeveloperNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer - NV2 ClearanceVIC
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- FTSQL DATA AnalyticsNSW
- CCSAP BODS ConsultantNSW
- FTSystems Administrator, Linux, Networking, AWSNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL/Web) 160719/P/741Asia
- CCAgile Delivery ManagerACT
- CCEnvironment Support AnalystQLD
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTJava DeveloperVIC
- FTGraduate IT supportNSW
- CCTest Manager - Baseline SecurityVIC
- CCProject Manager- Infrastructure and App Roles- Gov BackgroundNSW
- FTTechnical LeadWA
- CCMicrosoft Business Intelligence (BI) ConsultantNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160815/P/742Asia
- FTProject ManagerVIC
- CCLead Business AnalystNSW
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD