- Fast DL write speeds, great DVD reading
- Sluggish CD ripping, poor software
An extremely fast double layer burner. If you just want good single layer DVD performance and adequate CD capabilities, then some of the more inexpensive models in this review will do just as good a job.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
The Pioneer has some of the fastest writing speeds in the review; it is rated at 8X for DVD+RW discs and 6x for DVD-RW discs, as well as 16X for both DVD+R and DVD-R and 6X for DVD+R DL discs.
It's one of the best exponents of double layer burning that we have tested. In our tests, it filled a double layer disc with 7.9GB of data in only 19 minutes and 52 seconds. It read it back to us in 20 minutes and 13 seconds, which is roughly average compared to other drives we have tested.
Its DVD+R and DVD-R write performance was solid, and its DVD reading performance was exceptional.
It didn't fare too well with CDs in our testing, especially in our music ripping test, which recorded a very sluggish time.
At the time of writing, Pioneer planned to make available firmware updates that will allow the A09XLA to write to double layer DVD-R discs, as well as 8X DVD-RW discs.
We don't like the Ulead burn software that this drive ships with. It was limited in its functionality and did not allow us to select a burn speed for our discs manually.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Google Earth VR lets you explore our beautiful planet on the HTC Vive
- Seagate crams a massive 5TB into a portable hard drive
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTTechnology Testing Services ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Full-stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CC3x DevOps / Integration Developers l AWS- Cloud- Linux- Puppet Ansible- JIRA-DNSW
- FTDatacentre Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - AIXVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTInformation / Data Quality AnalystNSW
- FTFull Stack PHP DeveloperQLD
- CCJava Developer/ Guidewire Developers - Brisbane basedVIC
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- TPICT Project CoordinatorQLD
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantNSW
- TPLearning/Instructional DesignerQLD
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantACT
- FTJunior Business Process Analyst Perm North SydneyNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager - IT SolutionsNSW
- FTConsulting Solution/Integration ArchitectVIC
- FTJava DeveloperSA
- FTPerformance Reporting AnalystNSW
- CCJunior Project ManagerQLD
- FTSenior AEM Consultant - Public SectorACT
- TPMS Dynamics Post Implementation BAQLD
- FTSalesforce Technical Business AnalystQLD