- Good sound quality for music and movies, Tall boy speakers look great, USB input
- Bass often rough and undefined, no HDMI output
For those looking to enter the world of home theatre on a budget, you can't go too far wrong with the HTZ252DVD.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The HTZ252DVD is a DVD player and 5.1 speaker package containing four satellite speakers, a small centre speaker and a subwoofer. For a system at this price point Pioneer has packed a lot of features into the HTZ252, which makes it a great starting point for anyone wanting to enter the realm of home theatre.
The four main speakers look great and one could easily mistake them for a much more expensive set, however the plastic centre speaker and subwoofer look slightly cheap in comparison, somewhat ruining the aesthetic. Setting up this 5.1 system took quite a bit longer than usual as the speakers had to be screwed to their bases, also requiring us to hunt down a Philips head screwdriver. Once the bases were attached, connecting the speakers to the DVD player was a simple task as all wiring and connections are colour coded.
The sound quality was good in our movie testing, with the gamut of sounds and effects of The Matrix giving the speakers a run through their paces. Explosions and gun fire sounded good with the sub holding its own and providing plenty of deep rumbles when required. The lobby scene in particular is a great test for the directional qualities of speakers, and in this case the HTZ252DVD performed well, although not spectacularly. The subwoofer sounded quite dull when reproducing the thumping bass from the Propellerheads track in this scene, but made up for it in the conveyance of explosions later on.
Music playback via the CD/DVD player and our USB device was again good, suiting most styles of music fairly well. There was a slight weakness in the higher registers, but this did not detract greatly from the overall sound quality. The sub performed surprisingly well on our tests, only struggling sometimes with the softer, more subtle bass lines of slower funk and jazz. Dance, hip-hop and rock music were the noticeable standouts in performance.
The DVD player only has basic connections including single composite, component and S-video outputs, as well as antenna ports and a USB input for viewing media files. Pioneer has excluded the HDMI output that can be found on the UK model, which is a disappointment considering the increasing proliferation of HDMI compatible components on the Australian market.
Playing back pictures and music via the DVD player or USB input could have benefited from a slightly better menu display as the current interface is very basic, but nonetheless it is easy to use. The HTZ252DVD is able to play a host of file types including JPEG, WMA, MP3, MPEG-4 AAC and DivX files. There is also a radio function with 30 presets.
The usual level adjustments of bass, treble, and speaker loudness and distance are included as well as surround sound field decoders, namely Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Pro Logic II.
Overall, this is a good entry level home theatre offering from Pioneer. Although it may not be truly outstanding in any one area, it performs all functions well, making it great value for money.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPService Desk Analyst - Level 1VIC
- CCCyber Security ArchitectNSW
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- FTSupport and Operations Team LeadNSW
- TPSenior Applications Support OfficerQLD
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperVIC
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerVIC
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- TPFull Stack .NET DeveloperWA
- FTHR Payroll ConsultantQLD
- CCSenior System AdministratorVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC
- TPAPS6/EL1 Database Modelling SpecialistACT
- CCProject Manager - Telco Networks EngineeringVIC
- TPDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- TPSOE AdministratorQLD
- FTSupport Analyst / Production Support - InformaticaNSW
- FTJunior Software Developer - SASACT
- FTSenior IT Business Analyst - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- FTService Desk Analyst / Security EngineerQLD