Pioneer Computers Australia CentriNote 805
- Lightweight, high performance
- No shortcut buttons
This is an interesting and well-constructed notebook from Pioneer.
Price$ 1,899.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The CentriNote 805 is a Centrino-branded notebook model. Its core specifications include Intel's new Dothan Pentium M CPU (with 2MB L2 cache and a 400MHz frontside bus) running at 1.7GHz along with 512MB of DDR SDRAM, a 60GB Hitachi hard disk and a multiformat DVD writer drive. Its wide-aspect 15.4" display has a maximum resolution of 1280 x 800, and is driven by a 128MB DDR ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics controller.
The front fascia of the 805 is where the FireWire, audio jacks and multi-card reader are located, just near the lid latch and cursor touchpad.
On the left-hand side you'll find a VGA-out connection for an external monitor, S-Video TV-output, a PC Card slot (supporting one Type I/II card) and one USB slot. A 56Kbps modem, Ethernet connection and 802.11b/g wireless networking are also built-in.
The machine's back spine is quite bare with just two USB ports one power port and one Kensington lock port, while the right-hand side simply features the optical drive.
One of this machine's greatest strengths is its slimline design and weight of just 2.9kg. Battery life could have been better (it lasted just 62 minutes in our worst case scenario tests), but its application performance was among the highest you'd find at this price. This notebook is another strong all-rounder from Pioneer, but it has just a one-year warranty (although this includes on-site service and covers three years of labour).
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Asus ROG teases a massive gaming notebook that outperforms Titan X
- Chromebooks beat Mac notebooks 1.4-to-1 in U.S.
- Guess how much HP sold its gold- and diamond-encrusted laptops for?
- No Play Store for old Chromebooks
- Google is bringing Android apps to Chromebooks
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCICT Fleet and Equipment Audit ResourcesSA
- CCExcel DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior BA - Enterprise DataNSW
- FTVMWare Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- CCIT Security Consultant -NSW
- CCLMS Administrator and e- Learning Development Project OfficerSA
- FTStorage SpecialistVIC
- FTTester/Business AnalystWA
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCTIBCO Integration ConsultantVIC
- CCSystems Engineer- VMware / Cisco UCSNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/Orcale/MySQL) 160531/SA/253Asia
- CCMicrosoft System Engineer - NV1ACT
- CCBig Data DeveloperWA
- CCSoftware Engineer (Client facing) - Publisher SolutionsNSW
- CCSenior Program DirectorNSW
- FTSenior Developer (Full stack)SA
- FTNetwork SpecialistVIC
- CCProject Specialist Continuity AutomationVIC
- FTData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- CCData Engineer (Java, Scala, Scripting, Hadoop, Spark)NSW
- CCProgram Communications SpecialistVIC
- CCTest Analyst / Test LeadNSW
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Team Lead - .Net / SharePointACT