Pioneer Computers Australia CentriNote 805
- Lightweight, high performance
- No shortcut buttons
This is an interesting and well-constructed notebook from Pioneer.
Price$ 1,899.00 (AUD)
The CentriNote 805 is a Centrino-branded notebook model. Its core specifications include Intel's new Dothan Pentium M CPU (with 2MB L2 cache and a 400MHz frontside bus) running at 1.7GHz along with 512MB of DDR SDRAM, a 60GB Hitachi hard disk and a multiformat DVD writer drive. Its wide-aspect 15.4" display has a maximum resolution of 1280 x 800, and is driven by a 128MB DDR ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics controller.
The front fascia of the 805 is where the FireWire, audio jacks and multi-card reader are located, just near the lid latch and cursor touchpad.
On the left-hand side you'll find a VGA-out connection for an external monitor, S-Video TV-output, a PC Card slot (supporting one Type I/II card) and one USB slot. A 56Kbps modem, Ethernet connection and 802.11b/g wireless networking are also built-in.
The machine's back spine is quite bare with just two USB ports one power port and one Kensington lock port, while the right-hand side simply features the optical drive.
One of this machine's greatest strengths is its slimline design and weight of just 2.9kg. Battery life could have been better (it lasted just 62 minutes in our worst case scenario tests), but its application performance was among the highest you'd find at this price. This notebook is another strong all-rounder from Pioneer, but it has just a one-year warranty (although this includes on-site service and covers three years of labour).
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Google Nexus 6P review: An outstanding multimedia machine
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- ASUS launches world’s first liquid-cooled gaming laptop
- Apple might show off iPhone 5se and iPad Air 3 at March 15 event
- Monster gaming laptop from CybertronPC packs latest desktop hardware
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Chromebooks are siphoning market share from Windows PCs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Reports/JAVA/SQL) 160129/P/vhs-cAsia
- CCSAP Basis Admin with JavaACT
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCTechnical Tester - AutomationVIC
- FTMobile Designer / Developer - IOSNSW
- CCLync/Skype EngineerNSW
- CCUX DesignerNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Superannuation FundVIC
- CCSenior Test AnalystSA
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Cloud / Telecommunications (Melb CBD)VIC
- CCMaster SchedulerVIC
- CCData AnalystNSW
- CCRecords Officer - CanberraACT
- CCPega BPM Developer / Configurer - 12 months contractACT
- CCContract System Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/SA/881Asia
- CCSenior Business Analyst - BaselineACT
- FTJunior Developer | C#, MVC & SQL | Class FinanceNSW
- CCProgram Support ManagerQLD
- CCService ModellerNSW
- CCOracle Applications Projects Functional ConsultantSA
- FTChange LeadNSW
- CCAEM DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness and Financial AnalystACT