Pioneer Computers Australia DreamBook Power 900
- Performance, features
- Weight, battery, warranty
Lack of warranty and the other cons make this one not worth the price point.
Price$ 4,999.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The Power 900 is a well-built multimedia desktop replacement that would be ideal for video and gaming enthusiasts. At 5.7kg, it's a huge notebook with more features than we've ever seen.
The 17.1" widescreen display has a coating that reduces reflection and increases contrast. Just above, there's a built-in 640 x 480 CCD camera. The notebook has ample palm rests and full-sized keyboard with dedicated number pad.
The front has playback controls and an LED display for Windows-independent audio CD playback. Pioneer also bundles an external standard definition digital TV tuner with remote--great for that big screen.
Graphics are served up by Nvidia's 256MB GeForce Go 6800 controller that, together with the 3.6GHz Pentium 4 processor and 1GB of memory, achieved an amazing graphic score in 3DMark 2001 (17,173).
Pioneer has also graced the Power 900 with the power of two 100GB hard drives (configured in RAID), two internal dual-layer DVD burners, two FireWire ports and both headphone and S/PDIF audio-out. This model also includes an integrated seven-in-one card reader plus four USB 2.0 and single serial, parallel, and PS/2 ports.
It had poor battery life in our tests, lasting only 50 minutes under a heavy workload.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Hands-on with Asus ROG G752 and GeForce GTX 1070 (or holy crap this thing is fast!)
- Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080, 1070 and 1060 for laptops break the mobile mold
- After delays, Lenovo finally ships its first OLED laptop
- Surface Pro 3's massive battery drain is a software problem, Microsoft says
- Early Android app support rolls out to two more Chromebooks
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCChange Manager/ Advisor- operational environmentNSW
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- CCSolutions Architect - Office 365/Sharepoint/Project OnlineQLD
- CCNetwork Implementation EngineerNSW
- FTClient Engagement ManagerVIC
- CCTesting Resource ManagerVIC
- CCSolution Architect - WMS/LogisticsVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst / SalesforceNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160816/AP/vhsAsia
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- CCSenior Server and Storage Support EngineerNSW
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- FTPMO SpecialistACT
- FTMicrosoft Solution ArchitectACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160915/SSA/893Asia
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness Intelligence Business AnalystSA
- CCABAP DeveloperVIC
- CCBig Data SpecialistNSW
- CCPersonal AssistantVIC
- CCDesktop Support Level 1 /2VIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/P/601Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle RDBMS) 160908/AP/510Asia