Pioneer Computers Australia DreamBook Slim 805
- Lightweight, high performance
- Poor battery life
This mid-sized widescreen has plenty of power and a sizable, speedy hard disk, and it's backed by a three-year warranty.
Price$ 2,099.00 (AUD)
The Centrino-based DreamBook's core specifications include Intel's Pentium M processor running at 1.7GHz, along with 512MB of DDR SDRAM, a 60GB Hitachi hard disk and a multiformat DVD writer drive.
The 128MB DDR ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics controller drives a 15.4" wide-screen LCD with a maximum resolution of 1280 x 800.
The front fascia of the 805 is where the FireWire, audio jacks and multi-card reader are located, just near the lid latch and cursor touchpad.
On the left-hand side, you'll find a VGA-out connection for an external monitor, S-Video TV-output, PC Card slot (supporting one Type I/II card) and one USB slot. A 56Kbps modem, Ethernet connection and 802.11b/g wireless networking are also built-in.
The machine's back spine is quite bare with just two USB, power and Kensington lock ports, while the right-hand side simply features the optical drive.
One of this machine's greatest strengths is its slimline design and weight of just 2.9kg.
Battery life could have been better (62 minutes in our worst-case scenario tests) but application performance was outstanding. This is a strong all-rounder from Pioneer, backed up with a three-year warranty that includes on-site service.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Acer's new Predator gaming systems are powerful beasts that will also run your VR headset
- Intel's tablet adventure looking more like its netbook disaster
- Apple updates MacBook with new processors, adds Rose Gold
- Hands on with NexDock, the laptop that isn't
- The Surface Pro 4 Type Cover gets fancy with premium Signature Edition
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSystem admin with SQL server experience | Defence-wide project | NV1 neededACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160505/AP/951Asia
- FTProject Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- FTDatabase Administrator / ArchitectNSW
- CCFull Stack Developer - Java - Blue Chip CompanyNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCSr System AnalystACT
- CCSCRUM MasterNSW
- CCSenior ICT Project OfficerACT
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- FTDesktop SupportNSW
- CCBPM ConsultantVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160428/AP/143Asia
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Business Intelligence ManagerNSW
- FTGraduate IT Administration SupportVIC
- FTDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCPMO Coordinator- Prince2, Project financialsNSW
- CCSenior Automation Tester - MicroservicesNSW
- FTDigital Account Manager - Online MediaNSW
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- CCSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Financial Crime AnalystVIC
- CCJava Developer (front end)WA