Pioneer Computers Australia DreamBook Slim 805
- Lightweight, high performance
- Poor battery life
This mid-sized widescreen has plenty of power and a sizable, speedy hard disk, and it's backed by a three-year warranty.
Price$ 2,099.00 (AUD)
The Centrino-based DreamBook's core specifications include Intel's Pentium M processor running at 1.7GHz, along with 512MB of DDR SDRAM, a 60GB Hitachi hard disk and a multiformat DVD writer drive.
The 128MB DDR ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics controller drives a 15.4" wide-screen LCD with a maximum resolution of 1280 x 800.
The front fascia of the 805 is where the FireWire, audio jacks and multi-card reader are located, just near the lid latch and cursor touchpad.
On the left-hand side, you'll find a VGA-out connection for an external monitor, S-Video TV-output, PC Card slot (supporting one Type I/II card) and one USB slot. A 56Kbps modem, Ethernet connection and 802.11b/g wireless networking are also built-in.
The machine's back spine is quite bare with just two USB, power and Kensington lock ports, while the right-hand side simply features the optical drive.
One of this machine's greatest strengths is its slimline design and weight of just 2.9kg.
Battery life could have been better (62 minutes in our worst-case scenario tests) but application performance was outstanding. This is a strong all-rounder from Pioneer, backed up with a three-year warranty that includes on-site service.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Dell: Mainstream laptops with wireless charging are still years away
- SSD adoption in laptops exceeds expectations
- Apple will refund you for your iMac hinge repair costs
- MacBook Pro teardown reveals pointless speaker grilles and hard-to-replace Touch Bar
- Apple leads tablet sales, but the iPad Pro is not its best seller
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior PMO Analyst - ReportingNSW
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - SQLACT
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- FTTSM SpecialistNSW
- FTApplication Developer - FileNetWA
- CCData Modeller and Business Analyst - Integration ProjectQLD
- CCSenior Engineer - Finance PackagesQLD
- FTLife/400 Testers - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPSenior PMO AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst Finance & LendingQLD
- FTCheckpoint Firewall and VPNNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystSA
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- TPMobile Application DeveloperWA
- FTTrading Systems EngineerNSW
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- CCService Desk Consultant-Baseline Clearance RequiredNSW
- FTASP.NET Developer - ASP.NET/JQUERY/SQLNSW
- CCIntegration Systems SpecialistQLD
- CCSOA Oracle DeveloperNSW
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW
- FTTechnical Support RepresentativeNSW
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectVIC