Pioneer Computers Australia DreamBook Slim 805
- Lightweight, high performance
- Poor battery life
This mid-sized widescreen has plenty of power and a sizable, speedy hard disk, and it's backed by a three-year warranty.
Price$ 2,099.00 (AUD)
The Centrino-based DreamBook's core specifications include Intel's Pentium M processor running at 1.7GHz, along with 512MB of DDR SDRAM, a 60GB Hitachi hard disk and a multiformat DVD writer drive.
The 128MB DDR ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics controller drives a 15.4" wide-screen LCD with a maximum resolution of 1280 x 800.
The front fascia of the 805 is where the FireWire, audio jacks and multi-card reader are located, just near the lid latch and cursor touchpad.
On the left-hand side, you'll find a VGA-out connection for an external monitor, S-Video TV-output, PC Card slot (supporting one Type I/II card) and one USB slot. A 56Kbps modem, Ethernet connection and 802.11b/g wireless networking are also built-in.
The machine's back spine is quite bare with just two USB, power and Kensington lock ports, while the right-hand side simply features the optical drive.
One of this machine's greatest strengths is its slimline design and weight of just 2.9kg.
Battery life could have been better (62 minutes in our worst-case scenario tests) but application performance was outstanding. This is a strong all-rounder from Pioneer, backed up with a three-year warranty that includes on-site service.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- Razer's revamped Blade Pro laptop marries a GeForce GTX 1080 with 4K G-Sync
- Tobii's new eye tracker adds head tracking with an emphasis on PC games
- Apple to announce new Macs at a special event October 27
- HP Omen 17 review: Great gaming performance at a great price
- Acer's swanky Swift 7 launches as the thinnest laptop ever
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCMobile Developers (IOS and Android)QLD
- FTCRM Developer - MS Dynamics CRMNSW
- CCDemand ManagerNSW
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- FTSenior programmer / ProgrammerAsia
- CCContract Junior Programmer (Internet/ Intranet) 161025/JP/vhaAsia
- FTBusiness Analyst - HKMAAsia
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCBusiness Process Specialist/AnalystNSW
- CCService Analyst (12-month contract)Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst- (MQC, QTP, BPMN, Visio or System Architect;NSW
- FTJava Script, Frontend Developer- DynamoDB or MongoDBNSW
- CCInformation Security Consultant - RSA ArcherNSW
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- FTSenior UX DesignerAsia
- CCOracle SOA DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager (Marketing Automation)NSW
- FTSolutions ArchitectNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (PC LAN Support) 161020/ITA/652Asia
- FTSenior Architect, Markets and ProductsNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Security EngineerNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperWA